Pumpkins, TV Show and Twitch Halloween!

Today is the last day to enter the Pumpkin Carving Contest! Learn more here and enter now!

Nancy Drew Pumpkin Carving Contest

I haven’t spoken much about the new Nancy Drew TV show… but I thought to bring it up for some discussion! I have watched the first three episodes and will watch the fourth tonight. (Just so you all know – we at HeR Interactive had no part in the making or consulting of the CW’s Nancy Drew TV show.) Here’s my personal recommendation: if you are under the age of 16, I would seek your parents permission to watch the show. If you are a parent of a minor who is interested, please read the reviews for the show, do a little research and learn about the content that is in the series. If you are a parent, I suggest watching an episode first before deciding to let your children view it. The show has adult content and is rated TV14 for this, among other things.

That being said, the show also has scary moments, and I have a suspicion that the ghosts are “real” in this world. Here is my brief review of the show, as a long-term Nancy Drew fan who has read the books and has seen all the old movies and shows: I’m excited for a new Nancy Drew show. I’m excited for the scariness and the mystery. I’m disappointed about the adult content, as “my Nancy” doesn’t need this to solve a great mystery.

That’s a great point, too. “My Nancy” is a regularly used term these days, and because Nancy has been transformed so many times across the decades, we all have different preferences to who she is and what she does. And that’s ok to have your preferred Nancy, and other people to have different Nancys.

Ok, so if you HAD to modernize Nancy Drew into 2019, what would this Nancy keep from her past, and what would you give Nancy? Example: I would have Nancy keep her vintage fashion style, her vintage car, her kindness, curiosity and helpfulness to people. To modernize her, I would give her a cell phone, laptop, and give her coffee. LOL

How would YOU modernize Nancy?

Come join us for tomorrow’s Twitch Halloween party! We will be revealing the cover art for Midnight in Salem during the stream! Follow here!

Nancy Drew Mystery Adventure Games

15 responses to “Pumpkins, TV Show and Twitch Halloween!”

1. Joni says:

I like the show I do wish it was a little more kid friendly but as long as Nancy is solving a mystery and helping people out I won’t complain.

2. The perfect look for modern Nancy is to combine the looks of Emma Roberts, Kennedy McMann and Sophia Lillis. It is necessary to take all the best from everyone, and leave a little problems and “sins” – these are the attributes of modern youth. I think this would be the best solution for adapting a character in the modern world.

I am also a supporter of the classic image of Nancy, which was approximately similar to the image in the 2007 film (although it was too naive and not realistic – but it was a highlight!), BUT …
    I liked this series with its maturity and gloom (so he looked like a series of comic books Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: The Big Lie), because of its broken standards and stereotypes, which gives free rein to the imagination for a new look at the character. It’s also a good distraction.

3. Misstiskip says:

You made some great points about the Nancy Drew television show. I actually really enjoy it, and I actually appreciate the “adult content” because it shows that young women can be brilliant, compassionate, and independent while also making mature decisions.

While it’s a departure from the classic Nancy Drew – and I would LOVE a period piece series set in the 1930s! – I think that it is a good update for our more modern times. Plus, the CW is infamously risque, so I anticipated those kinds of updates when the show was first announced.

4. Susan Dugger says:

is there going be a Tutorial, since we do not have nancy room.

5. Joey says:

Hi LJ,
    I missed the stream, but would still like to see the cover art; at what time in the video can I see it?
    Thanks

6. gardenia_rose says:

Thank you for your review of the TV show. I saw the preview video and was not impressed. If there was no Nancy Drew name given to the character or title, I would’ve never guessed it was supposed to be Nancy Drew. It was easy for me to decide to not watch the TV show. My preference is to stick with the well known, family friendly, traditional version of Nancy Drew.

7. TC says:

I saw the first episode of the CW show, but it didn’t grab my interest. I’m all for seeing how different shows would interpret the characters from the books, but I do still like to recognize Nancy somewhere in there.

“My Nancy” for 2019 would be curious and kind and consistently smart, and not jaded or cynical. I’d love for her to have a vintage fashion style, but I’m also okay with her wearing generic jeans and tees. Naturally she’d have a cell phone. She’d also carry a lockpick kit or at least a bobby pin or paper clip. It’d be nice if she’s randomly good at unexpected things, because that always makes me laugh in the books. And I like my Nancy to be upbeat and have adventures – not wallowing in teen angst or living in a world where everything is dreary and gloomy.

And Carson would be older than my ’90’s crushes. πŸ™‚

I miss the message boards. We’re all so excited about the new game, and we’ve got no one to share the excitement with!

8. Susan Dugger says:

is there a nancy drew #34, and is midnight in salem the last nancy drew game.

9. Lindy says:

Will the twitch party be uploaded to YouTube?

10. Nicole says:

is Deirdre Shannon going to be voiced by Meaghan Halverson in MID?

Hello Nicole! Yes, the original Deirdre voice from ASH and DED will be the same in MID. Meaghan Halverson is indeed Deirdre. πŸ˜‰