If you watched my video last week then you know The Secret of the Old Clock is not only my favorite classic Nancy Drew game but also my Nancy Drew favorite book. If you are familiar with Her Interactive and our games at all, you know we like to hide little references or Easter Eggs in the games. That being said, I have caught the most hidden things in The Secret of the Old Clock just from playing it so much. Did you know many of the locations in Titusville reference movies and books?
- The character names at Lowood Academy are taken from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. The academy in Jane Eyre was names Lowood Academy and was also for orphans. Although, no one ate a pine cone in the book.
- The girls at the railroad station and their friends are named after characters on the television show Petticoat Junction.
- Seymour and Audrey, who work at the Nursery, are named after characters from The Little Shop of Horrors.
- The counselors at Camp Avondale are characters from Friday the 13th.
- Dr. Aikerman, Margaret Judsin, Mrs.Brownell, and Betsy Howard at the Deer Mountain Resort are characters from the Nancy Drew yellow back, The Haunted Bridge.
- The characters name at Vache’s Dairy are taken from the novel The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.
- The names of the characters at the library are people whom the libraries at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Washington were named.
These are just some of the many hidden references in The Secret of the Old Clock. Have you found any others?
Stay Sleuthy and check out this Sassy Detective quiz!