The Secret of Titusville
June 1st, 2016
If you watched my video last week then you know The Secret of the Old Clock is not only my favorite classic Nancy Drew game but also my Nancy Drew favorite book. If you are familiar with Her Interactive and our games at all, you know we like to hide little references or Easter Eggs in the games. That being said, I have caught the most hidden things in The Secret of the Old Clock just from playing it so much. Did you know many of the locations in Titusville reference movies and books?
- The character names at Lowood Academy are taken from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. The academy in Jane Eyre was names Lowood Academy and was also for orphans. Although, no one ate a pine cone in the book.
- The girls at the railroad station and their friends are named after characters on the television show Petticoat Junction.
- Seymour and Audrey, who work at the Nursery, are named after characters from The Little Shop of Horrors.
- The counselors at Camp Avondale are characters from Friday the 13th.
- Dr. Aikerman, Margaret Judsin, Mrs.Brownell, and Betsy Howard at the Deer Mountain Resort are characters from the Nancy Drew yellow back, The Haunted Bridge.
- The characters name at Vache’s Dairy are taken from the novel The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.
- The names of the characters at the library are people whom the libraries at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Washington were named.
These are just some of the many hidden references in The Secret of the Old Clock. Have you found any others?
Stay Sleuthy and check out this Sassy Detective quiz!
Posted in: Blogs, Characters, Indy, intern, Nancy Drew, Secret of the Old Clock, sleuthing, Trivia
wait is indy taking over the herinteractive blog?
Hi Cami! We are taking turns this week. 🙂 – Little Jackalope
No matter how many times I take the quiz, I get Rick Arlen…This is just me but I wouldn’t want him for a boyfriend…Also, the picture didn’t show up on the blog but I saw it on Facebook. =D
The only reference in CLK that is familiar to me is a novel, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. I think there was a movie starring Shirley Temple, a child actress in the 1930’s, around the time Nancy Drew got started!
There was. 1938 to be exact. Shirley Temple is one of my favorite actresses! I love the 30’s and 40’s like crazy.
Is it bad that the image isn’t loading for me?
Hi Huw! Can you see it now?
No, it’s weird. I can’t see this one or the newest one!
How weird! We will have to look into that.
I think there are images you’re posting that have broken links. I am unable to see this post’s image and that of the previous post.
That’s cool. I didn’t know any of that!
Still no images.
I can’t see the image, I tried in 3 different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer), and on a different computer, but it still won’t load.
We are working to try and fix this problem Thank you Amber! -Indy
Tino! NOOOOOOOO lol
I got Rick Arlen. No thank you.