We have successfully tested from game #6 on up on Windows 7, 8, and 10 (we also have had success installing games 3-5 when running in compatibility mode; and games 1-2 using the special instructions on our website and running in compatibility mode) and have found that installing the game when logged in as administrator and with anti-virus software temporarily disabled has been successful.
If you have already installed one of our games on a Windows 10 system and are having issues; please try doing a clean install using the following instructions, otherwise skip down to the instructions under “Reinstall” for installation on a Windows 10 system.
Completely uninstall your game.
1. Go to the folder where your saved games are located. The default locations are:
Windows Vista and Windows 7/8/10: C:\Users\Username\Documents\[Game Title]
Make a note of the location of your saved game folder.
2. In the saved game folder, delete any configuration files (.config extension).
3. Go to Start Menu > Start Search or Search Bar. Search for all files and folders by Game Title (e.g. The Captive Curse).
4. Delete all results EXCEPT for the saved game folder and the setup.exe file. Empty the Recycle Bin.
NEXT Update your PC. Update any drivers that need it and general windows configurations.
Restart your computer.
Make sure you’re logged on as an Administrator for your computer, temporarily disable your anti-virus protection (make sure to re-enable your anti-virus protection after the game download is complete), and manually install by taking the following steps:
1. Go to your Documents folder and create a new folder. Name the folder with the title of the game.
2. If installing from disc, insert game Disc 1 in your disc drive. Go to Start Menu > Computer *Note* if installing from digital download skip steps 2 and 3.
3. Right-click your CD-Rom/DVD drive and choose Open.
4. Look for the Setup file (this file will display as Setup Application, Setup.exe, or Setup Launcher Installshield). Double-click this file to start the installation process.
5. Move through the install process until you reach Choose Destination Location. Click the Browse button or Change button.
6. Navigate to the game folder you created by double-clicking in the Directories box. Select C: drive > Users > User name > Documents > the game folder you created. When you have the correct Path,
7. Continue forward with the installation process. When asked if you want to install DirectX, check “No, I will install myself.”
8. Upon completion, click finish and exit setup.
You may also need to (specifically for games 1-5):
1. Right-click the game icon that is now on your desktop, select ‘Properties’.
2. Under ‘Properties’, click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab.
3. Check the ‘Run in Compatibility Mode’ box and then select ‘Windows XP Service Pack 3’ or ‘Windows 98/Me’ from the drop-down menu.