Nancy Drew: #2 Stay Tuned for Danger – Installation

Stay Tuned for Danger Digital Installer Instructions

Make sure you’re logged on as an Administrator for your computer, temporarily disable your anti-virus protection (make sure to re-enable your anti-virus protection after the game download is complete).

In order to install the digital download of Stay Tuned for Danger (STFD) the following steps will need to be taken, in addition to the installation steps.

1. Create a new folder under: C:\Program Files (x86)\Her Interactive and label it STFD
2. Double-click the “StFDSetup.exe” to start the unpacker
3. Click Next to begin
4. Click Next to continue, do not change install path
5. Click Next to continue, do not check desktop icon box
6. Click Install
7. Wait for installation to complete
8. Click Finish to close the unpacker and launch the game installer

Note: Users with UAC on will see the warning message that Setup.exe (game installer) is from an unknown publisher, if you see this warning message click Yes to continue.  After clicking Yes it can take upwards of twenty minutes for installation to proceed.  To avoid this turn UAC off, reboot your computer, and proceed with installation.  If you need instructions on turning UAC off, please email techsupport@herinteractive.com

Installation:

1. Click Install Stay Tuned for Danger to begin
2. Click Next to continue until you are prompted to choose a destination location
3. Click Browse to open the directory window
4. Change the default path to C:\Program Files (x86)\Her Interactive\STFD
5. Continue forward with the installation process. When asked if you want to install DirectX, check “No, I will install myself”
6. Upon completion, click finish and exit setup

You may also need to run in compatibility mode:

1. Right-click the game icon that is now on your desktop, select ‘Properties’
2. Under ‘Properties’, click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab
3. Check the ‘Run in Compatibility Mode’ box and then select ‘Windows XP Service Pack 3’ or ‘Windows 98/Me’ from the drop-down menu

Note: this installer does not create a desktop shortcut; if you would like a desktop shortcut, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Her Interactive\STFD. Locate the application file (Game.exe), right-click, hover over ‘Send To’ and select ‘Desktop’ (create shortcut).

If, after installing, you receive a sound engine error.

Resolving the Nancy Drew Sound Engine Error

The issue pertains to the driver for the audio device in your computer. At this time, it seems to only effect “integrated” sound cards; it does not appear to effect after-market sound cards that can be added internally or externally to a computer.

To help identify whether you are using “integrated” sound, locate the wiring from your computer speakers and follow it back to where it plugs into your computer. If the speaker cable plugs directly into the computer with connectors that looks like those pictured below, you are using an “integrated” audio device.

integrated

If you trace the speaker cable back to a connection that looks like it sits in a slot similar to the picture below, then you likely have an after-market “add-on” sound card.

free standing

The sound error arises when a Nancy Drew game launches and it looks for the sound card drivers; some integrated sound card drivers are incompatible and will result in an error.

There are several possible fixes for this issue –

• First, update the sound driver for your existing audio device. Be sure to reboot your computer after updating the driver then try your game again. If that does not resolve the issue, you can try Step 2.
  • Add or Replace the audio device in your computer

There are several external USB sound cards available, that are very inexpensive, that can help resolve this issue as well as provide additional sound configuration options for your computer.

In addition to updating the sound card drivers or adding/replacing a sound card, you may need to right-click on the game icon or desktop shortcut, select properties, click the compatibility tab and change it to Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows 98/Me, at the bottom of the window check the “Run as Administrator” box, and apply the settings.

If you have multiple sound cards, it may also help to disable any onboard sound cards or other sounds cards on the computer. To locate the sound card(s) right-click the sound icon sound icon in the task tray, select sounds, select the Playback Tab. Alternately, you can open the Control Panel, select Hardware and Sound, under Sound select Manage audio devices (or Sound).  Under the Playback tab, right-click on any sound device that you would like to disable and select disable.  The same process is used if you add or change a sound card, except you will select “Set as Default Device” after right-clicking on the new sound card/device.

For additional information, please email techsupport@herinteractive.com

85 responses to “Nancy Drew: #2 Stay Tuned for Danger – Installation”

1. PAULINE says:

It says “2. Double-click the “StFDSetup.exe” to start the unpacker” which is where?

Hi Pauline, check out the video. It shows that it appears in your downloads folder after you have purchased and downloaded the game. 🙂

2. jordan says:

Will this be available for mac?

Hi Jordan! Sadly we didn’t make this game Mac-compatible. Sorry! We suggest you try Virtual PC or a product called Boot Camp from Apple.

3. Allison Dozier says:

After I’ve done the first part of the game, the actual installation for the game didn’t pop up. I know you said to look for setup.exe in the Stay Tuned for Danger folder but I can not find it. What do I do?

4. Sam says:

I actually still have the CD. Do I need to purchase the digital copy anyway?

5. Jessica says:

Are we able to download this re-release if we are Mac users? I have a MacBook Pro.

Hello, Jessica! The re-release of Stay Tuned for Danger is only for Windows. However, there are several programs you can download onto your Mac (like Virtual PC, Apple Boot Camp, and Wineskin to name a few) that should allow you to play PC games on your Mac.

6. Maya Watercutter says:

The game downloaded, but whenever I try to play it it says it can’t play the sound so I need to restart it. I figured out I have integrated sound but I don’t understand what I need to do to play the game.

7. Victoria Zenner says:

Ive done everything for the sound issues for this game and it is still popping up and will not allow me to play, is there anything else that can help with this?

8. Stefanie D says:

I cannot get the setup.exe file to work. When I click on it, there is the pop up, and I click ok, but nothing happens. Help!

9. Anna says:

I’ve gone through all the instructions and still have the sound issue which refuses to let me play. I’m not about to buy an external USB soundcard for my pc to play one outdated game, it’s ridiculous! refund!

10. Jennifer says:

I have installed the StFDSetup, and followed the steps for setting up the installer. However after I hit Finish on the Setup it doesn’t launch the installer. I even went to and tried to launch it from the file in Program Files with the Setup application like the install video said. It just tires to load for a second and then doesn’t open anything. I have a ASUS laptop with Windows 10.

Hi Jennifer! If you’re still encountering issues, please email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com, and we can assist you further. Thanks!

• Jennifer says:

Never mind I fixed it my self, thanks anyway! Anyone who is having the same problem what I did was went to the task manager and ended the task for the setups that were running in the background. Then, I turned off my antivirus and restarted my computer. Then I ran Setup.exe from the game file under Program Files Nancy Drew and after waiting a LONG time it finally worked. Hope this helps other people having the same problems! Game on!

11. Mary Stalcup says:

I have managed to complete the first part successfully but have not been able to get the second part to start despite following the aforementioned steps and waiting almost an hour for it to start. What am I doing wrong?

12. Angela Beres says:

Purchased digital download of stay tuned for danger,nothing but problems, emailed support, got phone # for tech support, have called all day! They are supposed to be there 11 – 4:00, very bad customer service!

13. EmmaJuen says:

It’s telling me I need to insert a disc.

14. Carol Copp says:

Can I download for Vista? Will new Salem game be usable by Vista? Carol

Hello, Carol! Yes, you can play Stay Tuned for Danger on Vista. As for Midnight in Salem, it should be, but we will let you know for sure as we get more information that we can share. If you’ve followed these instructions for installation and you’re still encountering problems, please email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com. -Tess

15. Andrew Feldkamp says:

Buyer beware, this game will likely be unplayable! Though if you’re on this page it’s probably too late for you too.

I have already contacted techsupport and customerservice. Suggesting that your customers purchase additional hardware to work around a bug in your software is an insult to your loyal fans. Please release a version that works!

16. Matt says:

Install a virtual sound driver for sound error.

17. darlene says:

hi there, cane this game play on Vista?

18. Elizabeth says:

How come the play screen is so tiny? Is there a way to fix this?

Hi Elizabeth! The answer to this depends on a few different factors. If this is still happening, go ahead and email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com. Be sure to also provide information on:
      –what game(s) you’re trying to play,
      –where you purchased the game(s) from (e.g. from the HeR Interactive website, Steam, a retail store, etc.),
      –whether the game is a physical disc or digital download,
      –and the operating system you’re using (i.e. Windows 7/8/8.1/10, Mac Yosemite 10.10.1-10.10.5+, El Capitan 10.11).
      Thanks! -Tess

19. Markus says:

Dear Nancy,

i had the Sound Error “Nancy Drew is unable to play sound for you…” with Onboard Sound and Win10.

On my System, it works with the Software “Virtual Audio Cable”. Just had to unplug and replug the audio-plug after installation.

No need to buy an USB Soundcard.

Nancy, you do a real good Job, and i know that you need our Bugs to do so. But next time less trouble?

Your´s Markus

20. Alex Mclean says:

Hello,

My wife really wanted to play this game,
    however it would not start due to a popup
    regarding the sound.

If you don’t mind playing it without sound try these steps:

Navigate to the where it asked you to install nancy drew(try C:\Program Files (x86)\STFD\), right click on the game.ini(the game file that DOES NOT have the nancy drew icon), go to security tab, then press the button “edit”, from there you should see a screen with a list which you should find “Users” in the list, click on that, then check the box that says “full control” under allow. then click “OK” twice.

Finally right click on the GAME.ini(the game file that DOES NOT have the nancy drew icon) then click edit(it should open with notepad)

Find: SoundSystemIsActive=1
    and change the 1 to a 0

Save the file, then right click on the GAME.exe(the game file WITH the nancy drew icon) and go to “Compatibility” tab and check the “Run as administrator” box.

then click ok, and your game should now run, however without sound.

Enjoy!

21. Kate says:

HELP! It keeps saying “Insert CD1 or click exit”

22. Stephanie says:

Try this on windows 10 for the sound problem and INI Error or CAL/CIFTREE Error. Worked for us.

23. It tells me to “Please insert disk”
    I do not have one seeing as how I purchased the downloadable version. How do I fix this?

24. Chris says:

I was also getting the sound error until I plugged and used my usb headset.

25. Theresa Simmons says:

I purchased the DVD of this game, prior to these instructions being available. Do I have to purchase the game, again, for this method to work, or can I used the game I’ve already purchased?

26. Becky says:

Hi, I’ve followed these instructions and installed the game a total of three times. But every time I save the game and close it, I have to reinstall the game each time I try to open it. It’s not allowing me to load my previous game, meaning I’ve had to replay the same chunk of game 3 times! At this rate I’ll never finish. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve watched the video and followed along. I’m really starting to get frustrated, & really disappointed in this game.

27. Brittany Bettencourt says:

So ive wrote the people at herinteractive for two days now, they havent answered or replied to me. but i purchased the downloadable version of this game and at first it was having a issue of jus getting the setup screen to come on. but once i figured my way around that by myself, now its saying that my computer isnt compatible for it…………………………………………………………… i have a WINDOWS 10!!!!!!!! i thought they redid the game so it can be played on newer operating systems… sooooooo upset. can you guys jus come out with midnight to salem already..!!!!!!

Hi Brittany! I’m sorry for your frustration. We have not been in the office until today since we were on Christmas break. We will get back to your email as soon as we are caught up, I promise. In the meantime, have you watched the installation video or read the old games FAQ post about installing on Windows 10?

• Kevin says:

Hey Brittany, how did you get around the setup not coming up? I have the same problem. As for the compatibility, search in the windows bar for “Programs made for older versions of windows”. Find the game, and then do the tests it says to do. Anyway, please answer my question asap.

28. melissa says:

I have done every step, but when i go to get into the game it comes up with an error of incorrect path to INI file what does this mean?

29. Rosie says:

So I set up the game and I can play it up until Nancy has to take a cab to the studio. Then the game shuts down.

It says Unable to create file c:\program files (x86)\stfd\CONSTD.SAV

followed by Runtime Error
    Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\STFD\Game.exe
    abnormal program termination.

I don’t know what any of it means but is there a way to fix it?

30. Olivia Braga says:

How do I fix the sound if I’m playing from a laptop?

31. Jess says:

Does anyone know if this re-release can be run on an HP laptop running Windows 10? The install instructions seem geared towards desktop PC users. I only ask because I purchased and downloaded Phantom of Venice on this computer and the program refused to run under any compatibility settings.
    Does anyone have any experience running the game on a Windows 10 laptop and having it function properly or not work?

32. Gayle Jenkins says:

The instruction video really helps when you follow along carefully. I am now ready to play this game. Is it ready for me?

33. Nikki says:

Hey, Little Jackalope!

First and foremost, thanks for all of your videos on this site; they make me laugh my butt off! You are simply adorable!

Secondly, I already emailed techsupport with my issues… my question is, will they be able to help me out by phone like I requested? I am technologically inept, and am worried about following their instructions.

Thanks for the helpful video as well, even though I ended up getting the dreaded sound error! X(

Aw, thanks, Nikki! I’m glad you enjoy the videos! 🙂 If you emailed techsupport, you’ll receive an email with instructions on return. If those instructions don’t make sense, feel free to contact us during business hours! Our number is on our Contact page. 😉

34. Mileah says:

Ok, so I got beyond the sound thing and now it’s asking me to insert disk 1. Help!

35. Alycia says:

This was super helpful, thank you so much!!

36. vc says:

I did everything suggested. now i have an error that said something about my windows 10 not being able to play game on display mode.
    help?

37. syrin says:

so when i right clicked and clicked on properties I could not find compatibility. All it showed on the top was general sharing security previous versions and customize. Is that it under any of those (I have a windows 10 by the way)I have already emailed tech support but do i need one on one help here

Hello Syrin, was tech support unhelpful? They can help you with instructions and trouble shooting.

38. Kaylee says:

Can I ask why does this game need the external sound card to work? I’m just a little frustrated that I purchased the game unaware that it had these issues and now I have to wait to play until the sound card comes in the mail. Why does it make a difference? Will it matter which sound card I purchase?

Hi Kaylee, this game is really old and is tricky to get to work on newer machines. There is a workaround though, if you go to the web page for Stay Tuned for Danger, there is a video link for instructions on installing. If you still have trouble, please email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com. Thank you!

39. kirsten says:

hi i have windows 8.1 and i dont know how to do the volume thing please help

40. kirst says:

still haveing a hard time sigh wish it could happen for tablet to play on

41. Sarah says:

Hi, I’ve been having problems with my sound. A box comes up and says that “We have changed the way we play sound” and I have tried everything. I have a physical disk for Stay Tuned for Danger, and I can’t return the disk. I have a Windows 10 for HP computer system, and my speakers are the company Insignia (if that matters). And I have already watched the installation video and read the instructions for windows 10 and I still need help because this is frustrating.