Nancy Drew: #2 Stay Tuned for Danger – Installation

Stay Tuned for Danger Digital Installer Instructions

Make sure you’re logged on as an Administrator for your computer, temporarily disable your anti-virus protection (make sure to re-enable your anti-virus protection after the game download is complete).

In order to install the digital download of Stay Tuned for Danger (STFD) the following steps will need to be taken, in addition to the installation steps.

1. Create a new folder under: C:\Program Files (x86)\Her Interactive and label it STFD
2. Double-click the “StFDSetup.exe” to start the unpacker
3. Click Next to begin
4. Click Next to continue, do not change install path
5. Click Next to continue, do not check desktop icon box
6. Click Install
7. Wait for installation to complete
8. Click Finish to close the unpacker and launch the game installer

Note: Users with UAC on will see the warning message that Setup.exe (game installer) is from an unknown publisher, if you see this warning message click Yes to continue.  After clicking Yes it can take upwards of twenty minutes for installation to proceed.  To avoid this turn UAC off, reboot your computer, and proceed with installation.  If you need instructions on turning UAC off, please email techsupport@herinteractive.com

Installation:

1. Click Install Stay Tuned for Danger to begin
2. Click Next to continue until you are prompted to choose a destination location
3. Click Browse to open the directory window
4. Change the default path to C:\Program Files (x86)\Her Interactive\STFD
5. Continue forward with the installation process. When asked if you want to install DirectX, check “No, I will install myself”
6. Upon completion, click finish and exit setup

You may also need to run in compatibility mode:

1. Right-click the game icon that is now on your desktop, select ‘Properties’
2. Under ‘Properties’, click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab
3. Check the ‘Run in Compatibility Mode’ box and then select ‘Windows XP Service Pack 3’ or ‘Windows 98/Me’ from the drop-down menu

Note: this installer does not create a desktop shortcut; if you would like a desktop shortcut, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Her Interactive\STFD. Locate the application file (Game.exe), right-click, hover over ‘Send To’ and select ‘Desktop (create shortcut)

If, after installing, you receive a sound engine error.

Resolving the Nancy Drew Sound Engine Error

The issue pertains to the driver for the audio device in your computer. At this time, it seems to only effect “integrated” sound cards; it does not appear to effect after-market sound cards that can be added internally or externally to a computer.

To help identify whether you are using “integrated” sound, locate the wiring from your computer speakers and follow it back to where it plugs into your computer. If the speaker cable plugs directly into the computer with connectors that looks like those pictured below, you are using an “integrated” audio device.

integrated

If you trace the speaker cable back to a connection that looks like it sits in a slot similar to the picture below, then you likely have an after-market “add-on” sound card.

free standing

The sound error arises when a Nancy Drew game launches and it looks for the sound card drivers; some integrated sound card drivers are incompatible and will result in an error.

There are several possible fixes for this issue –

• First, update the sound driver for your existing audio device. Be sure to reboot your computer after updating the driver then try your game again. If that does not resolve the issue, you can try Step 2.
  • Add or Replace the audio device in your computer

There are several external USB sound cards available, that are very inexpensive, that can help resolve this issue as well as provide additional sound configuration options for your computer.

In addition to updating the sound card drivers or adding/replacing a sound card, you may need to right-click on the game icon or desktop shortcut, select properties, click the compatibility tab and change it to Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows 98/Me, at the bottom of the window check the “Run as Administrator” box, and apply the settings.

If you have multiple sound cards, it may also help to disable any onboard sound cards or other sounds cards on the computer. To locate the sound card(s) right-click the sound icon sound icon in the task tray, select sounds, select the Playback Tab. Alternately, you can open the Control Panel, select Hardware and Sound, under Sound select Manage audio devices (or Sound).  Under the Playback tab, right-click on any sound device that you would like to disable and select disable.  The same process is used if you add or change a sound card, except you will select “Set as Default Device” after right-clicking on the new sound card/device.

For additional information, please email techsupport@herinteractive.com

60 responses to “Nancy Drew: #2 Stay Tuned for Danger – Installation”

1. PAULINE says:

It says “2. Double-click the “StFDSetup.exe” to start the unpacker” which is where?

Hi Pauline, check out the video. It shows that it appears in your downloads folder after you have purchased and downloaded the game. 🙂

2. jordan says:

Will this be available for mac?

Hi Jordan! Sadly we didn’t make this game Mac-compatible. Sorry! We suggest you try Virtual PC or a product called Boot Camp from Apple.

3. Allison Dozier says:

After I’ve done the first part of the game, the actual installation for the game didn’t pop up. I know you said to look for setup.exe in the Stay Tuned for Danger folder but I can not find it. What do I do?

4. Sam says:

I actually still have the CD. Do I need to purchase the digital copy anyway?

5. Jessica says:

Are we able to download this re-release if we are Mac users? I have a MacBook Pro.

Hello, Jessica! The re-release of Stay Tuned for Danger is only for Windows. However, there are several programs you can download onto your Mac (like Virtual PC, Apple Boot Camp, and Wineskin to name a few) that should allow you to play PC games on your Mac.

6. Maya Watercutter says:

The game downloaded, but whenever I try to play it it says it can’t play the sound so I need to restart it. I figured out I have integrated sound but I don’t understand what I need to do to play the game.

7. Victoria Zenner says:

Ive done everything for the sound issues for this game and it is still popping up and will not allow me to play, is there anything else that can help with this?

8. Stefanie D says:

I cannot get the setup.exe file to work. When I click on it, there is the pop up, and I click ok, but nothing happens. Help!

9. Anna says:

I’ve gone through all the instructions and still have the sound issue which refuses to let me play. I’m not about to buy an external USB soundcard for my pc to play one outdated game, it’s ridiculous! refund!

10. Jennifer says:

I have installed the StFDSetup, and followed the steps for setting up the installer. However after I hit Finish on the Setup it doesn’t launch the installer. I even went to and tried to launch it from the file in Program Files with the Setup application like the install video said. It just tires to load for a second and then doesn’t open anything. I have a ASUS laptop with Windows 10.

Hi Jennifer! If you’re still encountering issues, please email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com, and we can assist you further. Thanks!

• Jennifer says:

Never mind I fixed it my self, thanks anyway! Anyone who is having the same problem what I did was went to the task manager and ended the task for the setups that were running in the background. Then, I turned off my antivirus and restarted my computer. Then I ran Setup.exe from the game file under Program Files Nancy Drew and after waiting a LONG time it finally worked. Hope this helps other people having the same problems! Game on!

11. Mary Stalcup says:

I have managed to complete the first part successfully but have not been able to get the second part to start despite following the aforementioned steps and waiting almost an hour for it to start. What am I doing wrong?

12. Angela Beres says:

Purchased digital download of stay tuned for danger,nothing but problems, emailed support, got phone # for tech support, have called all day! They are supposed to be there 11 – 4:00, very bad customer service!

13. EmmaJuen says:

It’s telling me I need to insert a disc.

14. Carol Copp says:

Can I download for Vista? Will new Salem game be usable by Vista? Carol

Hello, Carol! Yes, you can play Stay Tuned for Danger on Vista. As for Midnight in Salem, it should be, but we will let you know for sure as we get more information that we can share. If you’ve followed these instructions for installation and you’re still encountering problems, please email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com. -Tess

15. Andrew Feldkamp says:

Buyer beware, this game will likely be unplayable! Though if you’re on this page it’s probably too late for you too.

I have already contacted techsupport and customerservice. Suggesting that your customers purchase additional hardware to work around a bug in your software is an insult to your loyal fans. Please release a version that works!

16. Matt says:

Install a virtual sound driver for sound error.

17. darlene says:

hi there, cane this game play on Vista?

18. Elizabeth says:

How come the play screen is so tiny? Is there a way to fix this?

Hi Elizabeth! The answer to this depends on a few different factors. If this is still happening, go ahead and email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com. Be sure to also provide information on:
      –what game(s) you’re trying to play,
      –where you purchased the game(s) from (e.g. from the HeR Interactive website, Steam, a retail store, etc.),
      –whether the game is a physical disc or digital download,
      –and the operating system you’re using (i.e. Windows 7/8/8.1/10, Mac Yosemite 10.10.1-10.10.5+, El Capitan 10.11).
      Thanks! -Tess

19. Markus says:

Dear Nancy,

i had the Sound Error “Nancy Drew is unable to play sound for you…” with Onboard Sound and Win10.

On my System, it works with the Software “Virtual Audio Cable”. Just had to unplug and replug the audio-plug after installation.

No need to buy an USB Soundcard.

Nancy, you do a real good Job, and i know that you need our Bugs to do so. But next time less trouble?

Your´s Markus

20. Alex Mclean says:

Hello,

My wife really wanted to play this game,
    however it would not start due to a popup
    regarding the sound.

If you don’t mind playing it without sound try these steps:

Navigate to the where it asked you to install nancy drew(try C:\Program Files (x86)\STFD\), right click on the game.ini(the game file that DOES NOT have the nancy drew icon), go to security tab, then press the button “edit”, from there you should see a screen with a list which you should find “Users” in the list, click on that, then check the box that says “full control” under allow. then click “OK” twice.

Finally right click on the GAME.ini(the game file that DOES NOT have the nancy drew icon) then click edit(it should open with notepad)

Find: SoundSystemIsActive=1
    and change the 1 to a 0

Save the file, then right click on the GAME.exe(the game file WITH the nancy drew icon) and go to “Compatibility” tab and check the “Run as administrator” box.

then click ok, and your game should now run, however without sound.

Enjoy!

21. Kate says:

HELP! It keeps saying “Insert CD1 or click exit”

22. Stephanie says:

Try this on windows 10 for the sound problem and INI Error or CAL/CIFTREE Error. Worked for us.

23. It tells me to “Please insert disk”
    I do not have one seeing as how I purchased the downloadable version. How do I fix this?

24. Chris says:

I was also getting the sound error until I plugged and used my usb headset.

25. Theresa Simmons says:

I purchased the DVD of this game, prior to these instructions being available. Do I have to purchase the game, again, for this method to work, or can I used the game I’ve already purchased?

26. Becky says:

Hi, I’ve followed these instructions and installed the game a total of three times. But every time I save the game and close it, I have to reinstall the game each time I try to open it. It’s not allowing me to load my previous game, meaning I’ve had to replay the same chunk of game 3 times! At this rate I’ll never finish. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve watched the video and followed along. I’m really starting to get frustrated, & really disappointed in this game.

27. Brittany Bettencourt says:

So ive wrote the people at herinteractive for two days now, they havent answered or replied to me. but i purchased the downloadable version of this game and at first it was having a issue of jus getting the setup screen to come on. but once i figured my way around that by myself, now its saying that my computer isnt compatible for it…………………………………………………………… i have a WINDOWS 10!!!!!!!! i thought they redid the game so it can be played on newer operating systems… sooooooo upset. can you guys jus come out with midnight to salem already..!!!!!!

Hi Brittany! I’m sorry for your frustration. We have not been in the office until today since we were on Christmas break. We will get back to your email as soon as we are caught up, I promise. In the meantime, have you watched the installation video or read the old games FAQ post about installing on Windows 10?

• Kevin says:

Hey Brittany, how did you get around the setup not coming up? I have the same problem. As for the compatibility, search in the windows bar for “Programs made for older versions of windows”. Find the game, and then do the tests it says to do. Anyway, please answer my question asap.

28. melissa says:

I have done every step, but when i go to get into the game it comes up with an error of incorrect path to INI file what does this mean?