Midnight in Salem FAQs

Have a question about Nancy Drew: Midnight in Salem? Here are a few frequently asked questions and concerns with this mystery game:

Pre-Orders:

Payment Charges –  A pre-order will ping your bank to make sure there are enough funds, and may show up in your statement as “pending.” You will not be charged until the game is released to you, when the transaction completes.

Digital Downloads – You should have an alert that provides you a download link to your game, it will be separate from the strategy guide download. Downloads were made available at 11:00am Pacific Time on December 3rd, 2019.

Physical Games – these are exclusive to herinteractive.com and will not be available anywhere else, including retail stores. Keep an eye out for an email confirmation of shipment, which will include a tracking number. This will be in your email inbox when the game leaves our warehouse in the midwest, so please be on the lookout for this and your spam folder as well. Arrival of the game is by first come, first pre-order. If you pre-ordered on October 15th (the first day of pre-orders) those games will ship out first, and so on. Arrival of you game will also depend on where you live, what shipping method you chose, and any additional factors such as holidays or weather conditions delaying the shipment.

Mac/Windows – The physical copy is only made for Windows PC, and is not dual-compatible with Macs. We do not have plans at this time to make physical copies for Mac computers.

Mac Users:

Installation – when you see this screen pop up:

Simply double-click the HeR Interactive logo to begin installation of the download manager (DLM). This is easy to miss.

Right-Mouse Clicking – On Macbook, you can do the following to right-click:

1. Hold two fingers on the trackpad and press down.
  2. Use an external mouse (plug it in via usb) and use the right-click button. (recommended.)

Lag or Sync Issues – We found these advanced game settings to be most helpful when playing on a Macbook, which can help the lag or syncing issues:

Graphics: custom
Window: borderless window
Res: 1440×900 or one lower is fine too
Vsync: on
Texture quality: low
Anti-aliasing: low or med
Anisotropic: on
Anti-aliasing: low or med
Post-Processing: low
Shadows: soft
Shadow quality: low

Download 403 Error –

After clicking the ‘begin download’ button and you get a 403 or forbidden access error message, please try clearing your internet browser’s cache and cookies before attempting to download your game again. After clearing your browser cache please exit out of completely, and then re-open your browser.

ContactUs_LowerBar

77 responses to “Midnight in Salem FAQs”

1. Nicole Morgan says:

I have just purchased this game for my pc it installed fine but when I go to play it I get this message saying that the app isn’t compatible with my computer. I can’t understand this is there any way you could help me.

2. T May says:

This is ******. Every other game has been made available in the store. This is on peoples Christmas lists and some people dont do online shopping. (I know how ghastly in the 21st century that some people actually want to touch something before they buy it.)

A U.S. based company has no need to charge $10 for shipping. Especially something that fits in a bubble envelope. Unless you plan on packing it in a huge box with millions of packing peanuts for “protection”

3. Dana Newman says:

Game crashes after Neds letter opening scene. Can this be resolved? Video already set to low.

4. Jacqueline Sara Pallos says:

im am using track pad and using to finers to press down on but i can’t inspect any items

Hi Jacqueline! Single-click (tap) your trackpad on an item in your inventory tray to bring up the inspection mode. Once that item is up close and big on screen, that’s when you can examine it with the right-click (two fingers tap) on the item, which you click and drag around to move it. If you want to see how this works, check out this video on YouTube.

• Jacqueline Sara Pallos says:

Hello – this still won’t work. I once to try to view the item such as the key in the first task however when I use the two finger tap on the item to try to examine it nothing happens. The key returns to inventory. The key stays white and I cannot inspect the item ever no matter what I do or what settings I try to change.

I have researched on the website and no matter what settings I change, nothing helps

Hello Jacqueline! I’m sorry about the trackpad, generally it should work. My best suggestion is to plug in an external mouse since that would be the fastest and easiest solution. Perhaps check your Mac settings to see where your right-mouse click option exists or custom-create that setting to a button.

5. Debra Wolvin says:

Digital Download- Midnight in Salem. How do I share this game with others in my household. We all have Mini Macs. I thought when I bought this game it said I could share. Thanks Debra

Hi Debra! I suggest copying all the game files to an external hard drive, then make sure your other household computers meet the system requirements for the game before installing.

6. Mette Mikkelsen says:

I have a problem. just finished downloading the game, and the game when i start it, is black screen.
    I have the sound “dare to play”, then the game crashes.

7. Mike Yerkman says:

Just bought the game, it downloaded fine, when it opens we hear a bit of music and see the HeR scene, then it goes to a loading page and never loads

8. kerry says:

hi trying to download midnight in salem on my windows 10 laptop just keeps saying forbidden error 403?????? please help

9. sherry Ashton says:

I can not download the Midnight in Salem,

10. Faith says:

I bought the Physical version of MID for my mac, but it’s not doing anything. it either says that it’s not supported on Mac or that I can’t open it.

Hi Faith, unfortunately, we only ever made physical versions for the PC. There are no physical versions for the Mac. 🙁

11. Beatrice says:

Hi I also can’t seem to examine the key for the judges desk. It simply disappears even after clicking once the way as instructed. I think my game has an issue.

Hi Beatrice! If you think there is a bug with the game, please contact us at techsupport@herinteractive.com and let us know your computer system information. If it might be a game hint you need, check out our message board for hints and tips, or try searching for tutorials on YouTube for visual help.

12. Elizabeth says:

Physical game downloaded fine but I was stuck on the loading screen for over a half hour. Then same as above it glitches on the opening letter and skips over conversations. Takes forever to load then just freezes. When trying to move it will freeze and not respond to my action. I updated the graphics to low and I still can’t play it.

13. Faith says:

Hi! I bought the physical version of MID and put it on windows 7, but every time it reaches the first loading page it unexpectedly quits.

14. Cat says:

Any Suggestions for Windows 10 Lag Issues? Cant lower the Graphics level cuz it causes the game to shut down.

15. Dani Whalen says:

I am having trouble with Nancy not noticing clues even when she is right on top of it and cursor won’t change. I also can’t add any quantity other than two when trying to mix herbs at the tea shop. Please help, I just purchased this game 2 days ago.

Hi Dani! Try clicking on spaces anyways to see if it’s an option. For the herb puzzle, check out our message board for hints and tips, or visit YouTube to see some fan walkthroughs and tutorials.

16. John Eggleston says:

My computer fits all the recommended criteria and I have tried three different computers. The game stalls out at the initial loading screen or it takes an insanely long time and I can’t play my game I ordered in the mail. I haven’t received any errors, but is there something else I’m doing wrong?

17. Kerrigan says:

My game crashes every time I try to pick up the cipher wheel in the graveyard while playing as Frank. I tried changing all the settings but it still happens. I’m afraid to reinstall and lose all my progress on my save file. Any suggestions?

Hi Kerrigan! Save your game right there, then adjust your settings, apply those settings, then quit the game and try opening it again. If the problem persists, please contact us at techsupport@herinteractive.com and let us know your computer specs so we can help you out further. Thanks!

18. Adrianne DILL says:

Digital Download- Midnight in Salem. The game downloaded fine but when I go to play it stays on the loading screen. I don’t understand, I always do digital download and never had a problem. Can you guess help?

19. Danielle says:

I just downloaded the game and went to play it, but am having issues. The game is lagging a lot to the point where the words are not in sync with the speech. I also got a glitch right in the beginning where I could not use the desk key in the desk (I hit the menu button and when I resumed the game, both drawers were automatically opened). Is there a way to fix the lag of the game?

20. Kat says:

Downloaded and installed on Mac Mojave 10.13 sucessfully. Opened to play, wheel turned for a bit, and “quit unexpectedly.”

21. Susan Shaw says:

I am having trouble with Midnight in Salem. I have purchased and downloaded, but stuck on loading screen. It just keeps going. Also no sound. I have emailed you separately with my computer specs.

Hi Susan! Thank you for emailing us with this issue. We just returned from our Christmas vacation and will get to your email as soon as we can!

• Brenda Childs says:

This sounds like my issue. I have installed it several times, uninstalled and reinstalled. Every time it launches it gets to the old house image at night, says it is “loading” and never gets any further. I bought the physical game and received it from “Digital River Generic”. I wonder if being “generic” is the real issue! All I want is to be able to play this game that we waited SO long for. My Windows OS is 7 with 64 bit. Thanks.

22. Jenna says:

Is there a way I can purchase the digital download on my iPad and send it to someone as a gift who uses a Mac laptop?

23. Anna says:

Is anyone else stuck on the initial loading screen and has gotten help with a solution? If so, please reply… I got Windows 7 and meet th e requirements and I had disabled the firewall and it still gets stuck on loading screen. HELP!

24. LAURA lambert says:

25. Elena says:

MidnightInSalem Digital Download – I played yesterday for the first time and today I cannot find my saved games! The only option when I open the game, is “new game”. Please advice ASAP, Cant loose all this progress!!!

26. colleen fitzgerald says:

Downloaded from Steam, game starts and runs for a few minutes and then the monitor has a no signal come across and then shuts the monitor off into smart energy saver mode. This happens on no other game. The smart energy saving is shut off on this computer. Any ideas?

27. Shelley says:

i bought the game and I am unable to play bc of the Lag issue I can’t even make it to the beginning where Nancy reads her letter. It very frustrating bc I spent a good amount of money on this when I could have put it towards something else. No now I’m out basically 30 bucks.

Hi Shelley, I’m sorry you are experiencing lagging. Does it still lag with a lower resolution setting in the game? Try changing the Advanced Settings through the game menu. If that doesn’t work, we’d like to learn more about your computer specs by emailing us at techsupport@herinteractive.com. Thanks!

28. Isabel says:

I preordered the game and can’t even get it to install. The download link didn’t even come to main inbox so I have only just tracked it down.

I get an error message when I try to reset my Digital River password in order to use findmyorder to try and get help downloading the software that I’ve already purchased …

29. Hannah gord says:

I have followed all suggestions for play Midnight in Salem, followed every thread, updated my computer, and tried every setting suggested. The lag and graphics are still terrible. Should not have been sold to Mac users. Unethical to sell us a glitchy game. Please refund my money. I don’t want tech support, or any more suggestions. I will re buy once you have produced a game that can ACTUALLY be played on Mac. We deserve better. Will be suggesting this as a top for throwing shade podcast as this is a platform that targets female gamers and once again….we are being given the short end of the stick.

30. Kathie Davis says:

How do I save the game so I can open it at that point the next time I play?

31. belliard says:

je voudrais savoir quand un patch sera disponible pour avoir le jeu en français.
    j’adore jouer à Nancy Drew mais mon anglais est déplorable.

32. Ruth says:

I’m able to get into the game, but then when I try to move, or click, it takes five minutes to complete that, and freezes up. It has lag too, deirdre and teagan scene at the beginning id when it got bad.

Hi Ruth! Have you tried adjusting the resolution of the game to a lower setting? It’s possible your RAM and processor are not fast enough. If you’d like help, please email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com and be ready to share your computer system information. Thanks!

33. Lynn says:

I’m seeing a lot of complains about glitches and digital downloads not working. My MAC is running on MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6. Before I purchase, please let me know if this my version is compatible with Midnight in Salem.

34. Timothy L says:

Hi LJ and the Nancy Drew Support Squad! I have the hardcopy version of MiS installed on my Windows PC. It runs great! But is there a way to invert the mouse / Y-axis? I don’t see that option in the Settings. Thanks!