macOS Update

Dear Nancy Drew Fans,

Apple’s latest version of macOS, 10.15 Catalina, may look a lot like earlier versions of the operating system, but its vastly different. As you may be aware, the biggest change is that Apple no longer supports older 32-bit apps or games in Apple’s 64-bit operating system. Unfortunately, this means that Catalina will block all older Nancy Drew Mac games (#22 – #32).  Please be assured, that we are looking at all possible solutions, and hope to find one that is economically feasible, so that you can continue to enjoy your older Nancy Drew Mac games.

In the meantime, Apple unofficially recommends either that you keep an old Mac on hand that runs a pre-Catalina version of the OS or that you partition your current Mac so that it can start up with an older macOS version as well as Catalina. Additionally, another alternative is to buy a copy of Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion if you don’t already own one. These programs are designed mostly for running Windows on a Mac, but you can also use them to create a virtual machine that runs macOS in a window on your Mac desktop.

We apologize for this inconvenience and as soon as we have any additional information and a path forward, we will be sure to update you. We know and understand that you love replaying these classic games and that this is an important issue to many Mac players.

As always, thank you for supporting HeR Interactive and Nancy Drew Games.

Sincerely,

Team HeR Interactive

PS: We always love hearing from our fans, so please don’t hesitate to share your thoughts or questions with us at feedback@herinteractive.com.

Posted in: FAQs, Installation, Mac

14 responses to “macOS Update”

1. Joanna Csillag says:

Hello,
    My name is Joanna Csillag and I have been playing Nancy Drew Games since I was very little. You may not even read this email but I just wanted to say, I really really love the Nancy Drew Games. I’m rooting for you guys that you hopefully figure out a solution to the new painful Catalina update from Apple. I really hope you figure out a way.

Good luck.

Hi Joanna! I appreciate your words of encouragement! It’s frustrating that Apple made that decision, and we are continuing to look for options in getting our Mac games to work on their new operating systems. 🙁

2. Mavis Ford says:

Mavis Ford I read all the Nancy Drew books as I grew up I am now 80 years…old…still love Nancy Drew and have played the computer games as well….would like to see more of them must look for new disks…..

Hello Mavis! It’s so great to hear more from Nancy Drew fans, especially at your age! If you ever have trouble finding more Nancy Drew games on discs, we offer all the titles as digital downloads for sale direct on our web site. 🙂

3. Michael Claridge says:

Hello,
    I just bought two Nancy Drew Games and I just updated to 64-bit. Is there a way I can now get a refund since none of them work anymore?

4. Molly says:

Hi, will the games work with 10.14.6?

Hi Molly! Take a look at each game’s web page for the exact system specs for the Mac versions. If something isn’t clear to you, please feel free to email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com and be ready to share your system details so we can help compare the game compatibility with your machine. Thanks!

5. Anonymous says:

Hi! Wondering if there were any updates on this? Especially in these times, would love to be able to play some of these games. Thank you for all your hard work!

Hello Anonymous! There have been no new updates since this post. 🙁 We cannot change what Apple has restricted, and have not found a new solution yet. I’m sorry!

6. Cassie says:

I was not aware of this. I just bought and digitally downloaded games 22 and 23 and now I can’t even play them! I’ve emailed customer support with no reply… can I exchange them for newer ones that will work on my computer?

Hi Cassie! I’m sorry about Apple’s restrictions on their operating system. Thank you for emailing us – if you haven’t heard from us yet, please keep an eye out soon for a response. We have been backed up on email responses lately. Sorry about the delay!

7. Mariana says:

Hi! I am the biggest Nancy Drew Game Fan! I’ve been playing them since I was little and after 18 years I still keep playing them, they are the best!! I am also having trouble with the Catalina update from Mac, I hope you fix it soon!
    Thank you very much and love your games!!

Hi Mariana! Thanks for being such a great Nancy Drew fan! Unfortunately, we cannot change the decision from Apple on only allowing 32-bit games to run on their new operating system. However, we are constantly on the lookout for workarounds to help!