macOS Update

Dear Nancy Drew Fans,

Apple’s latest version of macOS, 10.15 Catalina, may look a lot like earlier versions of the operating system, but its vastly different. As you may be aware, the biggest change is that Apple no longer supports older 32-bit apps or games in Apple’s 64-bit operating system. Unfortunately, this means that Catalina will block all older Nancy Drew Mac games (#22 – #32).  Please be assured, that we are looking at all possible solutions, and hope to find one that is economically feasible, so that you can continue to enjoy your older Nancy Drew Mac games.

In the meantime, Apple unofficially recommends either that you keep an old Mac on hand that runs a pre-Catalina version of the OS or that you partition your current Mac so that it can start up with an older macOS version as well as Catalina. Additionally, another alternative is to buy a copy of Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion if you don’t already own one. These programs are designed mostly for running Windows on a Mac, but you can also use them to create a virtual machine that runs macOS in a window on your Mac desktop.

We apologize for this inconvenience and as soon as we have any additional information and a path forward, we will be sure to update you. We know and understand that you love replaying these classic games and that this is an important issue to many Mac players.

As always, thank you for supporting HeR Interactive and Nancy Drew Games.

Sincerely,

Team HeR Interactive

PS: We always love hearing from our fans, so please don’t hesitate to share your thoughts or questions with us at feedback@herinteractive.com.

Posted in: FAQs, Installation, Mac

58 responses to “macOS Update”

1. Joanna Csillag says:

Hello,
    My name is Joanna Csillag and I have been playing Nancy Drew Games since I was very little. You may not even read this email but I just wanted to say, I really really love the Nancy Drew Games. I’m rooting for you guys that you hopefully figure out a solution to the new painful Catalina update from Apple. I really hope you figure out a way.

Good luck.

Hi Joanna! I appreciate your words of encouragement! It’s frustrating that Apple made that decision, and we are continuing to look for options in getting our Mac games to work on their new operating systems. 🙁

2. Mavis Ford says:

Mavis Ford I read all the Nancy Drew books as I grew up I am now 80 years…old…still love Nancy Drew and have played the computer games as well….would like to see more of them must look for new disks…..

Hello Mavis! It’s so great to hear more from Nancy Drew fans, especially at your age! If you ever have trouble finding more Nancy Drew games on discs, we offer all the titles as digital downloads for sale direct on our web site. 🙂

3. Michael Claridge says:

Hello,
    I just bought two Nancy Drew Games and I just updated to 64-bit. Is there a way I can now get a refund since none of them work anymore?

4. Molly says:

Hi, will the games work with 10.14.6?

Hi Molly! Take a look at each game’s web page for the exact system specs for the Mac versions. If something isn’t clear to you, please feel free to email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com and be ready to share your system details so we can help compare the game compatibility with your machine. Thanks!

5. Anonymous says:

Hi! Wondering if there were any updates on this? Especially in these times, would love to be able to play some of these games. Thank you for all your hard work!

Hello Anonymous! There have been no new updates since this post. 🙁 We cannot change what Apple has restricted, and have not found a new solution yet. I’m sorry!

6. Cassie says:

I was not aware of this. I just bought and digitally downloaded games 22 and 23 and now I can’t even play them! I’ve emailed customer support with no reply… can I exchange them for newer ones that will work on my computer?

Hi Cassie! I’m sorry about Apple’s restrictions on their operating system. Thank you for emailing us – if you haven’t heard from us yet, please keep an eye out soon for a response. We have been backed up on email responses lately. Sorry about the delay!

7. Mariana says:

Hi! I am the biggest Nancy Drew Game Fan! I’ve been playing them since I was little and after 18 years I still keep playing them, they are the best!! I am also having trouble with the Catalina update from Mac, I hope you fix it soon!
    Thank you very much and love your games!!

Hi Mariana! Thanks for being such a great Nancy Drew fan! Unfortunately, we cannot change the decision from Apple on only allowing 32-bit games to run on their new operating system. However, we are constantly on the lookout for workarounds to help!

8. Erica says:

I have been a long time fan of everything Nancy Drew, and just recently rediscovered the computer games were still in existence. (Curtesy of a pandemic and quarantine I suppose). I upgraded from an 7+ year old HP laptop to a new Mac and I’m saddened to see that the games are no longer able to run on the Mac operating system. I’m anxiously awaiting solutions to this because I’d like to re-purchase the entire set of games rather than spending that money on an additional laptop to game on.

Hi Erica! I’m sorry about this – we cannot change Apple’s decision to not allow 32-bit games on their latest software update. As soon as we find a workaround, we will be sure to post about it!

9. Sarah Hoover says:

SInce this warning message was only printed in tiny font on the page for the affected game (Trail of the Twister), I purchased it for my Mac running on Catalina without realizing there would be a problem. Can I please be refunded for the affected game? I have emailed about this already, but have not heard back.

Hello Sarah, I’m sorry about Apple’s 32-bit game restriction. As soon as we learn about a workaround, we will be sure to post about it. We apologize for the delayed response in our email, as we have been backed up with many messages. Please keep an eye out for our response soon!

10. Lydia says:

I have a macOS Sierra version 10.12.6 will this game work on my Mac? thanks !

11. Emily says:

Hello there! My Mac is running on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and I am still able to play Trail of the Twister and Secrets Can Kill Remastered. Will the other Mac games (#22-32) be able to played?

Hi Emily! To make sure the other titles will run on your operating system, take a look at the game web pages and see the system requirements. That will specify if it will work or not. 🙂

12. Mallory Caforia says:

Hi there,

I downloaded this game and have Mojave for my OS—every time I try to open it, it comes up with “Nancy Drew – The Captive Curse quit unexpectedly. Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.” Can you help?

13. AmberL says:

Hi! I have the mojave 10.14.5 and I bought the Ghost of Blackmoor Manor before I updated to that operating system. It still works after the update though. Will other games ranging from game #22-#32 also work on Mojave now? Or does the Ghost of Blackmoore Manor only work because I downloaded it before I upgraded to Mojave?

Hi Amber! Are you referring to Ghost of Thornton Hall, or Curse of Blackmoor Manor? Either way, you are very lucky to have it working on Mojave! Our games do not work well on Mojave or Catalina.

14. Kelsey says:

You guys should have this noted on the game pages…I just purchased a game and now I can’t play. Thanks.

Hi Kelsey, this note has been added to the system requirements in addition to a link to this post. I’m sorry about Apple’s 32-bit game restriction. 🙁 Once we find a workaround for their change, we will be sure to post about it. In the meantime, feel free to email us at customerservice@herinteractive.com and let us know which game you purchased.

• Mackenzie says:

This should be posted somewhere higher or in bigger font, I never had a chance to see that one little note WAAAY at the bottom of the page.

Hello Mackenzie, I’m sorry you missed our important message. Since many others requested we make this more visible, we have added it just below each game page under the system specs in a larger, more noticeable button. I’m sorry that Apple has restricted 32-bit games. 🙁

• Kelsey says:

I have emailed and followed all steps for a refund but I am being told I can’t receive a refund. Whoever handles this department doesn’t know how to find my order apparently. How ridiculous.

15. Hallie says:

I just purchased Silent Spy and became aware of this issue trying to install it. I don’t really want to wait for an update because I don’t know how long that will take and I have not received an email back from the tech team. I would just like a refund since I can’t play the game or at least a way to exchange for a game that works.

Hello Hallie, I’m sorry you haven’t been able to play your game. Keep an eye out for our response email – I apologize for the delay as we have received many emails on the subject and want to get to everyone.

16. Daisy says:

I hope you guys can find a solution soon, we were already having fun in the little corner of 22-32 and now that’s gone 🙁 I lost all my games-esp with buying the mac only versions. At least I have the memories + might try to Midnight at Salem for a quarantine game! Please please, I hope more can be available to Mac users!

17. moob says:

Does this mean I can still play #32 on Catalina? Or is that one excluded?

Hi moob, I believe only MID can be played normal when on Catalina. Games 1-32 are unplayable on the new Mac OS because Apple restricts 32-bit games.

18. Jessica Fletcher says:

Unfortunately I can no longer play any of your games, because I have a Catalina Macbook. That change must have been quite a blow, and I’m disappointed in Apple and in the gaming industry in general, which has sadly prioritized mindless shooters and stupid racing games. I see that people are really angry about the graphics and the other changes in the Salem ND game, but I am ALL FOR anything that keeps these games coming! I think we’d all really like to see smart, charming mystery games like these make a big comeback, and we support you. I have many favorites, but The Curse of Blackmoor Manor and The Captive Curse were your shining achievements (I wish I could re-play them!). More like those, plz!

Hello Jessica! Thank you for your encouragement and support! I’m sorry about Apple’s decision with restricting 32-bit games. 🙁 We have no more updates at this time to help our players replay their older Mac titles, but when we do, we will be quick to share any workarounds we find!

19. Veronica Lopez says:

I understand the issue with the new Mac updates, but it should be posted on the website main page and near game selections. I have been a Nancy Drew fan since ’01 & was really excited to download ones I missed out. Though the ‘Midnight in Salem’ downloaded fine, the other 3 games i purchased did not download due to these technical issues and I am deeply disappointed. Phone calls are being unanswered which I understand also that times are tough now. But I want to get a refund to be processed for the other games as soon as possible. It’s not inconvenient really, just unfortunate.

20. Chrissi says:

Hi! Do you guys have plans to upgrade your games to be compatible with the new 64 bit requirements? I’ve also always wondered if there would ever someday be Apple versions of the older Windows-only ND games. I’d give anything to be able to download Treasure in the Royal Tower on my Mac! Is any of this a possibility, even if it’s far in the future? Thank you!

Hi Chrissi! We do not have plans at the moment to re-master our older games. Sorry! 🙁 If we can find a way around Apple’s restrictions to 64-bit games, we will share that info with everyone.

21. Kaitie says:

Hi HerInteractive! Does this effect being able to play the older games through Wineskin? Would Wineskin be able to play the newer games? Thanks for all your help!

22. Liz says:

I anticipate this means we will never be able to play these games on a newer mac? That is how it appears. I am personally not interested in playing Midnight in Salem as it does not have the classic feel I have always loved in these games, but can no longer play any of the old ones. I can probably download these onto my Dell work computer, but cannot pay for a new download for each game.

23. Talon says:

Is there any update on solutions for Nancy Drew games? Would really like to start playing again. Thank you!

Hi Talon, sorry, we do not have any new news or updates to share yet. We are still trying to figure out a better workaround Apple’s restrictions.

• Kris says:

Talon, I don’t know if you have figured out a way to play your games but I ended up buying an external hard drive for my Mac. I then installed MacOs Mojave on the external hard drive. That allowed me to play the Nancy Drew Mac games I hadn’t finished playing through the external hard drive.

24. Katie says:

Hi! I just updated my computer and now I can’t play a game I purchased a few hours ago. I do have an old Mac, so I’m wondering if it’s possible to download it to that computer? I never got an email receipt for it.

Hi Katie! If you have an older Mac with an older operating system, you may be able to move the game. Please contact us at techsupport@herinteractive.com and let them know what operating systems are on both of your Macs, and specify which game. Ask them for guidance on moving the game files over to the older Mac.

25. Shelby says:

Hello! Are there any updates regarding this? Is an access portal in discussion, similar to Origin? I would love to purchase and keep an updated macOS.

Hi Shelby! Unfortunately, Apple has restricted their latest operating system to only 64bit games. Our games are 32bit. If we ever find a workaround, we will be quick to share it on our web site and with our Mac players.

26. Rachel says:

Will they still work from Steam?

Hi Rachel! I think it is the same situation. The game itself (no matter where you purchase it) will not work on the new Mac Catalina operating system. Apple has restricted 32bit games. If we ever find a workaround, we will be quick to share it on our web site and with our players.

27. Emily says:

Since adjusting the games to work within Apple’s restrictions sounds incredibly difficult, is there any chance that you’ll consider releasing more of the games on ipad? I LOVED Thornton Hall! I was a little worried about how it would feel on my ipad, but honestly I think I enjoyed it more on there than I would have on my desktop. Maybe releasing older titles on ipad is less involved than getting everything to work with the new Apple OS updates?

Hi Emily! Glad to hear you enjoyed Ghost of Thornton Hall on the iPad! We will keep in mind your request for future Nancy Drew games on this platform. For now, we are only focusing on PC and Mac.

28. Fatumata Manneh says:

I was excited to buy the Nancy Drew game only to find out after I purchased it, its not compatible with this new update. Is there a way I can a refund for this?