Jared M. Nieuwenhuis
HER INTERACTIVE PARTNERS WITH THE YOUNG SOCRATICS TO DISTRIBUTE ‘ODYSSEY’
HeR Interactive Distributes 3rd Party Title for First Time; Myst-like Puzzle Adventurer is the Next Generation Science Game
BELLEVUE, Wash., August 18, 2017 – Leading video game publisher and developer HeR Interactive today announced the distribution of Odyssey by The Young Socratics for PC and Mac. Odyssey is an all-new engaging and innovative mystery adventure game. Help Kai and her family escape their captors on the Wretched Islands – and learn the history of astronomy, mechanics, and scientific reasoning as you read Kai’s journal and solve puzzles along the way! In this unique science-based game, the player navigates across a group of islands in the Caribbean in search of a 13-year old girl Kai and her family trapped and waiting to be rescued. Odyssey is available now on http://www.herinteractive.com for $14.99.
“We are thrilled to have partnered with The Young Socratics to bring our fans an all-new mystery adventure game – Odyssey,” explained Penny Milliken, CEO. “Historically, we have never published 3rd party titles on herinteractive.com. However, after meeting the founders of The Young Socratics, playing Odyssey and understanding their vision, it was immediately clear that we have similar goals and ideals as a company. From our first game in 1998, HeR Interactive has been providing fun Nancy Drew mysteries to solve while encouraging STEM skills along the way. From Odyssey’s atmospheric environments to its challenging science-based puzzles, we just knew that our fans would appreciate this title while awaiting the next installment of Nancy Drew.”
“I still remember reading more than 80 Nancy Drew titles, apart from a comparable number of titles from Hardy Boys, Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, etc. What I realized later during my Stanford Ph.D days is that the story of science has the same amount of mystery, adventure and intrigue if only it is read properly,” said Omkar Deshpande, Co-Founder. “Like gathering clues from a crime scene and interviewing human suspects to pinpoint the criminal, the science sleuths like Galileo gathered clues (patterns) from the natural world and the starry heavens, came up with a list of ‘suspect’ hypotheses, and conducted investigations via experiments to probe which of them pointed to the secret laws and models governing the real universe. They often did this at the risk of being condemned or imprisoned. We have tried to convey this thrilling intellectual journey through the lens of a 13-year-old girl in Odyssey. We are excited to partner with the creators of Nancy Drew games and hope that this will make a significant contribution to the cause of science education among girls.”
Key features include:
- An immersive environment for exploration with a mystery-adventure story and science-based puzzles.
- Plenty of scientific models within the game environment for investigation and conducting your own experiments.
- A journal that reads like a mystery novel, while providing insight into the history of astronomy and mechanics from the ancient Greeks to Galileo, and clues for solving the puzzles.
- Chapter 1 covers the origins of science, and the shift from the flat earth of the pre-Socratics to the spherical earth and physics of Aristotle.
- Chapter 2 covers the shift from the geocentric universe of Ptolemy to the heliocentric universe of Copernicus and Galileo.
- Chapter 3 covers the tussle between Galileo and the followers of Aristotle on free fall motion.
In the upcoming sequel, the story line will pick-up again and cover the following topics:
- Chapter 4 covers the mathematics of uniformly accelerated motion as developed by Galileo (1D kinematics).
- Chapter 5 covers Galileo’s ideas about inertia and the mathematics of projectile motion (2D kinematics).
- Chapter 6 completes the birth of a new physics with the construction of the three Laws of Motion and Universal Gravitation by Newton.
Pricing and availability:
Odyssey is available now for $14.99 at: www.herinteractive.com
For more information about Odyssey, visit: https://www.herinteractive.com/shop-games/odyssey/
To view the Odyssey trailer, visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4d0hqEV0lw
About Her Interactive:
Her Interactive is the leading mystery-maker and pioneer of fun and inspiring interactive entertainment. The company, with over 30 awards to its name, designs, develops and publishes high-quality mystery adventure games and apps, and is leader in the mystery games category. Her Interactive’s Nancy Drew games have sold more than 9 million copies. This success, in part, is buoyed by the ever increasing number of girls and women becoming avid game players. Nancy Drew players now include moms who have introduced their daughters to the girl detective, making Nancy Drew one of history’s longest-running iconic figures spanning generations. More information about the company and Nancy Drew games can be found at www.herinteractive.com.
About The Young Socratics:
The Young Socratics is a K-12 education company co-founded by Vivek Kaul and Omkar Deshpande that aims to teach mathematics, science and engineering using a historical-philosophical perspective. Their first product is Odyssey, a Kickstarter-backed puzzle-adventure game that teaches astronomy and physics from the ancient Greeks to the Scientific Revolution. Check www.theodysseygame.com for more details on the game.