Congratulations to Ana Tish! Winner of the Nancy Drew Songwriting Contest!
Win $500 cash, a trip to LA, and an opportunity to work with DMI Music and Her Interactive by digitally composing a song for an all new Nancy Drew app! We are looking for an iconic song to be included in a Nancy Drew mobile game releasing this spring on iOS and Android. Interested?
The Nancy Drew Songwriting Contest is open to songwriters currently enrolled at the Berklee College of Music. Compete for a chance to showcase your song in our Nancy Drew mobile game!
The Grand Prize winner will be awarded a trip for two to Los Angeles, CA and a recording session at Firehouse Recording Studios. This includes round trip airfare from the major U.S. airport nearest to the Grand Prize winners’ home, 2-nights hotel accommodations, $500 cash and transportation to and from the airport and hotel.
To get started, please carefully review the complete song brief. You can download and open the song brief pdf here.
Have any questions or feedback? Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
Once you are ready to submit your entry, please click here.
All entries must be submitted by no later than December 11, 2015. Winner announced on December 28, 2015.
Nancy Drew Songwriting Contest OFFICIAL RULES
WHAT IS THE CONTEST?
The Her Interactive, Inc., (“HER”) Nancy Drew Songwriting Contest (“Contest”) encourages amateur songwriters attending Berklee College of Music to compete for a chance for their original song (“Song”) to be included in a Nancy Drew interactive mobile game (“Game”). The winner will be awarded $500 cash and a trip to Los Angeles, CA to attend a recording session with Disc Marketing, LLC d/b/a Firehouse Recording Studios.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN THE CONTEST. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
WHAT CAN I WIN?
One (1) Grand Prize will be awarded. The Grand Prize winning songwriter (“Grand Prize Winner”) will receive a four (4) hour recording session at Disc Marketing, LLC (“DMI”) d/b/a Firehouse Recording Studios in Pasadena California. The recording session will occur during normal business hours and will include the services of the Firehouse Recording Studios’ staff, producer, engineer, and mixer in order to produce a fully mixed and mastered version of the winning song. The Winner will also receive round trip economy airfare for two (2) from the major airport nearest to the Grand Prize Winners’ home, hotel accommodations for two (2) nights in Pasadena, California, Five Hundred ($500) dollars cash and ground transportation to and from the airport, hotel and Firehouse Recording Studios. Approximate retail value of the Grand Prize is $2,000.00 for the trip and $5,000.00 for the half-day studio recording time. Actual retail value will depend, in part, on the location of the Grand Prize Winner and the time of travel. Meals, gratuities, taxes and all other expenses not specified herein are the responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner.
The images and profiles of the Grand Prize Winner may appear on www.HerInteractive.com, HER social media pages, www.dmimusic.com, DMI’s social media pages; Berklee College of Music website and social media pages and other sites deemed appropriate by Her Interactive.
All Contest prizes are not substitutable or transferable, except at the sole discretion of HER. This Contest is void where prohibited or otherwise regulated. All federal, state and local laws apply.
The Contest is subject to all of the following rules, terms and conditions:
To enter the Contest you must be: a current matriculating full-time Berklee College of Music student; 18 years or older as of December 11, 2015; and a legal resident of one of the 50 states of the United States or the District of Columbia. Entries originating from any other jurisdiction are not eligible.
In addition, you are not eligible to enter the Contest and will be disqualified if:
- You are a professional musician, singer, songwriter, vocalist (e.g., you derive a substantial part of your income from such activities), or you are subject to a publishing agreement, recording contract or other agreement in which you have agreed to provide rights in and to musical compositions and/or recordings;
- You have won a national “talent” contest in the past three (3) years; or
- You are an employee of HER, DMI, and/or Berklee College of Music, and/or their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, promotional partners and members of their immediate families or households.
HOW TO ENTER:
Campus and Online Only
To participate in the Contest, each entrant (“Contestant”) must do the following before 12:00 midnight PST (Pacific Standard Time) on December 11, 2015. Please note: you can submit your entry here.
Each entry requires the following elements (“Submission”):
- Up to three songs submitted in MP3 format only with a size limit of 7.2mb for up to three (3) minute 320 kb MP3
- A lyric and composition lead sheet. Note: Lyrics must be in English.
- A fully completed application.
Contestants may only enter this Contest at a designated location on the Berklee College of Music campus or on the Contest website (www.herinteractive.com/berklee) in accordance with the submission instructions. The Contestant may use the services of other individuals to assist in the recording of their song. The master recording and musical composition embodied on such master recording and submitted as part of the Submission may be collectively referred to herein as the “Song”.
By competing in the Contest, you accept and agree to all Contest rules and the terms and conditions below and further agree to be bound by the decisions of the judges, which will be final.
Contestants may enter up to three (3) songs.
The Contest is sponsored by Her Interactive, Inc., 1150 114th Avenue, S.E., Suite 200, Bellevue, WA 98004 (the “Sponsor”). DMI is providing certain promotional support and a portion of a prize only, and its President and CEO may serve as one of the judges for the Contest. However, DMI is not to be considered a sponsor, host or administrator of the Contest for any purposes hereunder. Any comments, issues or complaints shall be sent by email to HER at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the following address: Her Interactive, Inc., 1150 114th Avenue, S.E., Suite 200, Bellevue, WA 98004.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I WIN?
If you are the Grand Prize Winner you will be notified on or around December 28, 2015 by student email and/or phone number provided from the submission page.
The Grand Prize Winner will be notified and required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility/recording rights/publicity and general release within five (5) days of notification date. The affidavit will state that Grand Prize Winner’s Song is an original work and he/she holds all rights to Song. Failure to sign and return such affidavit within five (5) days or provision of false/inaccurate information therein will result in immediate disqualification and an alternate Grand Prize Winner will be selected based on the same criteria and using the same judging procedures as described above. Affidavits are subject to verification by Her Interactive and its agents. Grand Prize will be awarded to the Contestant whose name is designated on the entry application. In addition to the License rights granted by you to Sponsor for your Submission as described in Section 10 below, if you are the Grand Prize Winner, your affidavit will grant to Sponsor its designees, assignees and licensees an EXCLUSIVE, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, sub-licensable, transferable right and license to exploit the copyright in and to the Song in the Game or any derivations thereof or in the publicity, advertising and promotion of the Game, Her Interactive or the Contest, in mobile, in print, film, television, or in any other media now known or hereafter devised, worldwide in perpetuity, without compensation, without payment of residuals, costs or fees, and without permission or notification to Contestant, of any kind, except as prohibited by law. In the event Her Interactive wishes to exploit the Song for other Her Interactive products or services, including merchandising rights, and/or the right to license and exploit the Songs in film or television for other third parties, the Grand Prize Winner hereby grants such ancillary rights to Sponsor, provided that Sponsor will pay the Grand Prize Winner twenty-five (25%) of any “net receipts” Sponsor receives from any such exploitations. For the purposes of this Section, “net receipts” shall mean gross receipts received by Sponsor for any particular exploitation of a Song less any and all operating, actual and verifiable costs and expenses, fees, transaction charges, manufacturing (if applicable) costs and taxes.
Sponsor shall resolve all disputes as to identity of the winner on the basis of the identity of the registered user of the email account of the Contestant, and if a Grand Prize is won by such entry, the registered user of such email address shall be awarded the applicable Grand Prize.
Any Grand Prize Winner who does not comply with these requirements or cannot be contacted at the phone number or email provided within forty-eight (48) hours, will forfeit the Grand Prize and an alternate winner may be selected. In the event that the Grand Prize Winner is unable to travel to and arrive in Pasadena, California for any reason by January 7, 2016, they will forfeit the Grand Prize and an alternate winner will be selected at Sponsor’s sole discretion. If the Grand Prize Winner is unable to travel to Pasadena, California by January 7, 2016 due to a “force majeure” event, then the disqualified Grand Prize Winner shall still be entitled to receive $500 as a consolation prize. A “force majeure” event means events beyond the reasonable control of a Contestant, including, but not limited to: (i) acts of war; (ii) acts of God; (iii) civil unrest; (iv) terrorism or verified threats of terrorism in the United States as substantiated by governmental warnings or advisories; (v) curtailment of transportation services which would normally affect all persons travelling; (vi) disaster, fire, earthquakes, hurricanes, extreme inclement weather conditions; or (vii) any other cause reasonable beyond the control of the parties making travel impossible to perform.
After accepting the Grand Prize, the Grand Prize Winner will not be eligible to win another prize in subsequent Her Interactive contests for up to one year. The Grand Prize Winner will be posted on www.HerInteractive.com, following the Contest end date and after the Grand Prize Winner has been notified.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1. Submissions may be made from 12:00 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) on November 16, 2015 through 11:59 p.m. PT on December 10, 2015. Each Song submitted must be the Contestant’s original work. Songs may not exceed three (3) minutes in length. Only one Contestant may be designated on the application. The person so designated will be considered the “Contestant” for all purposes of this Contest. Contestant may submit up to three songs in as many categories as he/she wishes, but each Song must be submitted as a separate entry and requires a separate MP3 submission, application, lyric and composition lead sheet. All genres of music will be accepted.
2. Contest is open to amateur singer / songwriters who meet all other eligibility criteria specified herein. Employees of Her Interactive, Inc., DMI, and Berklee College of Music, and/or their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, promotional partners and members of their immediate families or households are not eligible to enter or win.
3. Winners will be chosen by the select panel of expert judges comprised of music industry professionals chosen by Sponsor.
Songs will be judged based on
- Melody (20%)
- Composition (20%)
- Originality (20%)
- Lyrics (20%)
- The song that best represents the Nancy Drew “brand” and game (20%)
The quality of performance and production will not be considered.
Judges may include representatives from DMI, Berklee School of Music, and Her Interactive (“Judges”). Judges may be substituted with other qualified persons, in the sole discretion of Sponsor.
The selection of the Grand Prize Winner for the Contest is subject to the sole discretion and judgment of the Judges and their decision is final and controlling. Sponsor shall not be responsible for any errors or allegations of errors made by the Judges or in the administration of the Contest.
4. Submissions must not violate copyright laws, and must be previously unpublished and original material. Songs may have multiple co-writers, but only one name should appear as the Contestant. Prior to entering a song, Contestant must obtain any and all releases and consents from any and all co-writers, and any other parties necessary to permit the use and exhibition of the Submission under these Contest rules. By entering the Contest, you explicitly (i) certify that you meet the eligibility requirements as set forth in these Official Rules; (ii)represent and warrant that you own or have exclusive rights to the entirety of your Submission; (iii) represent and warrant that you have not used licensed material or any material owned by someone other than you and that your Submission will not be libelous, or infringe or violate the rights of any third parties, including but not limited to copyrights, trademarks, or rights of publicity/privacy; and (iv) represent and warrant that your Submission is original and you have not copied or plagiarized the content or portions of text for your Submission from other material. You further agree that you will not submit your Submission to any other contest or competition or release the Song commercially until you have been notified by the Sponsor that your Submission has been eliminated from the Contest.
5. This Contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and is void where prohibited. Grand Prize Winners agree that Sponsor, DMI and other prize contributors, including their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors and employees, shall not be liable for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from participating in this Contest or from the acceptance or use of any prize awarded. Sponsor reserves the right to verify eligibility qualifications of the Grand Prize Winner. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process, the operation of the web site, [www.herinteractive.com/berklee], or who is otherwise in violation of the Contest rules. Sponsor further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Contest if it is not capable of completion as planned due to, for example, infection by a computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort. In the event of early termination of the Contest, the Grand Prize Winner will be selected from all eligible entries received at the time of termination in accordance with the judging procedures described above. In no event will Sponsor be responsible for any damages or losses arising out of access to and use of the web sites or the downloading from and or printing material downloaded from said web site. Sponsor also reserves the right to cancel the Contest in the event fewer than 10 eligible entries are received by the entry deadline.
6. Submissions will not be returned to the Contestant.
7. The Grand Prize Winner will be announced on or around December 28, 2015 and posted on www.herinteractive.com/berklee. No other notification to the general public will be given. Sponsor reserves the right to delay announcing the Grand Prize Winner in the event an alternate Grand Prize Winner has to be chosen as described above. For more information contact email@example.com.
8. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete or misdirected Submissions. Sponsor is also not responsible for problems uploading or downloading any Contest-related information or materials from the website, any errors or problems associated with uploading Submissions on the website, or for any other technical malfunctions of electronic equipment, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer hardware or software failures, phone lines, failure of any Submission to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems, traffic, congestion on the internet or the Website, or for any other technical problems including telecommunication, miscommunication or failure, and failed, lost, delayed, incomplete, garbled or misdirected communications which may limit Contestant’s ability to participate in this Contest. The Sponsor is not responsible for any other errors or malfunctions of any kind, whether network, printing, typographical, human or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or malfunctions which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing, judging or voting of Submissions, the tabulation and processing of votes, or deletion of any Submissions.
9. By participating in the Contest, each Contestant agrees to have his/her name, voice, or likeness used in any advertising or broadcasting material relating to this Contest, in any media now known or hereafter devised for advertising or promotional purposes without additional compensation.
By making a Submission, Contestant acknowledges and agrees that Sponsor may obtain many Submissions under this Contest and that such Submissions may be similar or identical in theme, idea, format or other respects to others submitted under this Contest and/or created or developed by Sponsor on its own or by those working on Sponsor’s behalf, and/or other promotions staged and/or Ied by Sponsor, and waive any and all claims Contestant may have had, may have, and/or may have in the future, that any similar Submission, song and/or other works accepted, reviewed and/or used by Sponsor (or its designees) may be similar to Contestant’s Submission. Contestant acknowledges and agrees that Sponsor does not have now, nor shall it have in the future, any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of any copyright in and to Contestant’s Submission.
10. By making a Submission, Contestant grants Sponsor and its designees, assignees and licensees a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, fully paid up and royalty-free, sub-licensable, transferable right and license to edit, publish, use, adapt, exploit, perform, modify, copy and disseminate any Submissions, for purposes of the evaluation of the Submission and determining a Grand Prize Winner of the Contest hereunder.
Sponsor reserves the right to permanently disqualify any Contestant and/or any other person it believes has intentionally violated these Terms and Conditions and void all associated Submissions.