Older Games on Mac

We started making our games for both PC and Mac with Game #22 Nancy Drew: Trail of the Twister. At this time, HeR Interactive is developing all of our new games for the Mac, as well as PC. I wish we had more games available for the Mac, but as we are a small company, the cost of converting our older games is prohibitive. However, I can assure you that ALL future games will be Mac compatible.

In addition, if you would like to try playing the older ND games on your Mac, we have heard that some of our fans have successfully used a product named “Virtual PC” to play our titles, as well as one called Wineskin. You may also want to try a program put out by Apple called Boot Camp which you can find on Apple’s website. While we don’t officially support this, you may find that it will work well for you too.

Posted in: Mac

66 responses to “Older Games on Mac”

1. Brooke says:

Hello there! Wineskin has been my savior for playing my old Nancy Drew games that weren’t made for Mac! The trick is all in which wrapper you use. So far, the only one I haven’t been able to play has been the original Secrets Can Kill with 2 discs.

• Greta says:

I’m trying to figure this out for Stay Tuned for Danger but I’m having a really difficult time understanding how all of this works! What exactly do you mean when you say “all in which wrapper you use?”

Hi Greta! Where do you see us say “wrapper”? Could you email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com? Thanks!

• Greta says:

Oh! Sorry, I meant that in response to Brooke’s comment above. She mentioned using Wineskin and that the trick is all in which wrapper you use. I was hoping she could explain what she meant and/or how she uses the program. 🙂

Sorry for the confusion!

• Brooke says:

Greta,
        When you use Wineskin, you can choose an engine to make a wrapper. When I first started trying this, I just used the newest engine (figuring that would be the best one) and there was terrible mouse lag and flickering and such. Then I did some searching and found that a different engine worked way better. I’ve had to use a different one for a few games, but the one that’s worked best for me is WS8Wine1.3.18. Hope that helps!

• Michaela says:

Hello Brooke!
      I was hoping maybe you could give a step by step. I want to make sure I download the correct application with the correct wrapper. I tried, but it didn’t let me pick WS8Wine1.3.18., which you’ve had the best success with. Also, once it’s downloaded what do you do with the game?
      Thank you!

2. Linda says:

Can someone PLEASE give me (tech illiterate) STEP BY STEP instructions on a MAC laptop how to get the program needed to play the older games and then how to get them ready to play? Thank you!

3. Linda says:

Do you have to have the physical disc purchase or can you download the game and play it then?

4. Cheryl says:

Has anyone tried using 2-disk games on the Mac? I haven’t had much sucess with this, so I am wondering if other people have?

• Brooke says:

Cheryl,
      Yes, I have played many (close to all) of the 2 disc games on the Mac. The only one I’ve not been able to get to work so far has been the original Secrets Can Kill. Just copy the files from both discs into the same folder, select “Keep Both” if it finds any files that may be “duplicates” and then proceed just like you would for a game with a single disc! Hope that helps!

5. AccioDrew says:

I don’t understand how to use this at all. Is there an easy to understand guide anywhere? Unfortunately this is Greek to me 🙁

Hi AccioDrew! I highly recommend reading up on each of the programs’ web sites for further instructions.

6. Donna McLean says:

How do you play your Nancy Drew disc on a mac computer? Please help me with this Thank you Donna McLean

7. Annie says:

How do you play older games on a PC. I tried changing to a compatible previous version of Windows but none of them worked. Do you have a solution to this problem? Thanks.

Hi Annie, if you are still having trouble after reading the instructions and following the programs’ web site guides (like Wineskin’s) try emailing their tech support for your Mac porting.

8. Caitlin says:

I found this video to be extremely helpful in walking through how to install Wineskin and therefore the older games!! https://youtu.be/ot94PUemEU4
    When he says to select “Euro Truck Simulator” that’s the step where you’ll pick the game to install. Go to the Disc image, and select Setup.exe
    Hope that helps!!

9. Caitlin says:

Scratch that!!! THIS one is even better. The other one I actually haven’t been able to open the game at all… installing was easy, but I still can’t play. This one is more thorough! It’s a different program altogether.

10. Tori says:

Does anyone have directions on how to install old games via Wineskin when it is a digital download? I know how to do it when you have the disc, but what about when it’s only the digital version?

Hi Tori! I’ve never used Wineskin, so I could only suggest looking up their guides on their web site. Sorry!

11. Rachel says:

I created a tutorial on youtube for downloading Nancy Drew games using wineskin! I explain how with two disc games as well! Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUvkbvsSebk

12. Jackson says:

Parallels is also really good. Virtual PC is now called VMWare Fusion. If you use these, try to load Windows XP, because it is easier to install the games, and there is less memory drain and lag.

13. Kelsey says:

Does anyone know how to get back into your game? I was able to get it all set up through Wineskin, but now I cannot get back in. It prompts me back through the install process where I have to choose to “modify”, “repair”, or “remove” the game. I have tried the “modify” option and the “repair” option and they don’t seem to do anything. I don’t want to try the “remove” option because it took me so long to even get it set up in the first place. Anyone familiar with this situation and how to fix it?

14. Rachel says:

I would love to play the old games again! I have a MAC now but remember playing all those games on my PC, and would love to get back them while waiting for the release of Midnight in Salem. So my question to everyone, which works better for digital copies (such as from Her Interactive or Big Fish) WineSkin or Bootcamp? Or any other programs? Help please! 🙂

• Allison says:

I don’t know if you still need help, Rachel, but I’ve used both and found that both work well. Wineskin requires a bit more fiddling, but once you get the hang of it it’s easy. Bootcamp is easier if you’re familiar with Windows (and I was able to get the first game to play on it, which I’ve yet to do using Wineskin), but it requires the purchase of an official copy of the Windows software.

• Rachel Neathamer says:

7 I definitely still do! Awesome! Thank you! Ill have to give Bootcamp a try since you say its pretty easy 🙂 I appreciate it! Now I wonder where I can buy the official copy of the windows software lol cause I’m ready to get back into the old games! 🙂

• Rachel says:

I definitely still do need help! Awesome! Thank you! Ill have to give Bootcamp a try since you say its pretty easy I appreciate it! Now I wonder where I can buy the official copy of the windows software lol cause I’m ready to get back into the old games!

15. Kat says:

I’ve made a Twitch video on how to install old ND games on a Mac using Wineskin here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/125941889

Now that I have this set up, II’ll be streaming the old games in order of release. Join me for some nostalgia! 😀

16. Hannah says:

Anyone figured out how to get your games from Big Fish Games to work using wineskin?

17. Breeanna says:

I’ve used the method recommended by a poster on the Facebook page for the first 12 games, but when I did the same thing with Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon and did the final test run (/Game.exe), the screen flashed and turned off. I thought it might just be that game, but I tried Danger by Design and had the same problem. Anyone have a method for games 13+?

Hello Breeanna, are you trying to use Wineskin or Bootcamp? If so, we recommend checking out that software’s tech support on their site. They know the software much better and may be able to help.

18. Shannon says:

Has anyone played Warnings At Waverly Academy using Wineskin? If so, which Engine did you use?
    I’m have trouble finding an Engine that doesn’t leave the game laggy. Thanks in advance!

• Brooke says:

Hi Shannon,

I am having the same problem. Please let us all know if you find a solution. I want to play this game so bad!!!

• Pualei says:

I haven’t tried wrapping any of the games yet, but Rachel’s video said that from newer games from blue moon and after used 1.3.34. Granted, her window went up to ransom, but if you haven’t tried that one yet maybe give it a go?

19. Pualei says:

Hello! Can someone help me? I made a wrapper for Last Train with 1.3.34 and it starts okay, but when I click on the difficulty I want to play a box pops up that says ERROR:OpenVideoStreamForSingleFrames. Has anyone else had this problem? I’m not sure how to go about fixing it

20. Nancy says:

With wineskin, are you now able to purchase one of the old pc games through digital download and use it on mac software? I tried to download the pc version of The Secret of the Scarlet Hand on my mac and use wineskin in order to play it, but I wasn’t able to because once I downloaded the game, it just said that it was not compatible with macOS, and I could not use it in wineskin.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get around this?

• Jordan says:

So going off of my own experience downloading the digital version of the games you need to try and save the set-up file you download to the desktop. If you click ‘open’ you’ll get that non-compatible message. Once you do that follow the steps in Rachel’s video but instead of using the disk folders she has, just use the folder you make using the set-up file from the download. Rachels folders have a bunch of files but dont worry about that because you have to use wineskin for the installation wizard. Hope this helps!

21. Pualei says:

Has anyone else had problem trying to install a game that has two discs, where part way through installation you still receive the prompt to ‘insert disc 2?’

22. Ashley says:

I have been successful in using Wineskin for all the older games except for: Blue Moon Canyon, Danger by Design, and Kapu Cave. I have attempted wrapper 1.1.34 as suggested by others but it has been unsuccessful. When I open the game.exe the screen prompts me to enter in the disk, when I do it still will not load. Thoughts anyone?

• Grace says:

Hey, what did you use for Waverly Academy if you don’t mind me asking-I’ve been having issues with it lagging and skipping dialogue.

23. Ravi Cisco says:

Mac always provides best games from the older times and interactivity makes it happen by Apple company.The game ‘Wineskin’ and the virtual games on first developed by Mac and well the establishment of games make a record in the world.

24. Molly says:

I’ve been able to play the following games:

PC Electronic Download:
    Scarlet Hand
    Secret of the Old Clock
    Kapu Cave
    Phantom of Venice
    Blue Moon Canyon
    Dossier: Resorting to Danger

Disc:
    Deception Island
    Haunted Carousel

These are the steps I used for all of the electronic downloads:

1. Once the download is complete I like to move it on to my desktop because it makes it easer to find later on
    2. Open Wineskin and choose WS8Wine1.3.18 when creating a new wrapper (by clicking the + next to ‘new engines available’ if you do not already have the engine installed)
    **For Blue Moon Canyon I had to use WS8Wine1.3.34 but the rest of the process was the same
    2. Once the wrapper is completed click view in finder (I like to move the wrapper on to my desktop for accessibility as well) and open the wrapper
    3. Click ‘install software’ then click ‘choose setup executable’.
    4. In the window that pops up, select the game download from the desktop file
    5. This will begin the download and a blue InstallSheild Wizard window should pop up on your screen. Follow the download BUT when you get to the designation folder click browse and type in ‘C:’
    6. When the installation is completed, click on the wrapper to open the game. A ‘Choose Executable’ window may pop up; just choose /Game.exe and the game will begin or you may have to click on the wrapper again

For the games where I used a CD, I followed the youtube tutorial that was posted a while back in this thread.

Hope this helps!

Also lately I’ve just been chancing that the PC downloads will work with this process so if anyone has any of the ones not on this list I would love to know if they work!

25. KD says:

Thank you all so much for your notes and help in using Wineskin. I am an older Nancy Drew addict and I am so happy that I can play the PC version games I missed. I just downloaded the Haunting at Castle Mallory and the instructions given above for digital download work like a charm. Only drawback is the sound is a bit low but I will use my headphones. Thanks again.

26. Chloe says:

I used this method for Danger by Design and it worked great! But now I’m trying Stay Tuned for Danger and it’s not working. Can someone help? I haven’t been able to play this game, even on my windows, and it’s my last one! I really want to play it.

27. Chloe says:

I think the problem with Stay Tuned for Danger is that when I try to erase everything but the “C:” for destination folder, it won’t let me. Did anyone have success with StFD?

• Katie says:

Hi Chloe, I had the same problem, but not with this game. There is a ‘ \ ‘ after the ‘C:’. So I discovered if you leave out the back slash it will give you an error. In the destination folder, put ‘ C:\ ‘ and it shouldn’t give you an error message anymore. hope this helps!

28. Paul says:

I tried everything to get this to work for me. The discs I tried won’t even stay inside my mac. I watched youtube videos and even read the guides. Any help would be appreciated from here.

Hi Paul! If the discs do not stay in your drive, you may want to contact Apple support about the drive. Are you using Virtual PC, or Wineskin? Check out their tech support for how to use these. If you are having trouble installing a Nancy Drew game, please contact us directly at techsupport@herinteractive.com after you’ve checked that the computer and software works. Thanks!

29. Jess Mack says:

Has anyone managed to find what wineskin version to use for Warnings at Waverly Academy? I’ve tried a couple but the lag is terrible!

30. Alexis Berry says:

I have had success with all my one disc games, but my two disc games (Danger by Design and Creature of Kapu Cave) seem to not be working through my Wineskin. I can get it all installed and everything, but when I select the game.exe and run the test run, it doesn’t actually start the game, it just prompts me about the successful test run and if I want to see the logs. I have been able to go through the setup and everything successfully for all my other games, but I really want to play these two and I can’t manage to get the game launched. Please please help if you know what to do!! Thanks

31. Alea Frazier says:

I’ve had success on all but Danger by Design, Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon, Creature of Kapu Cave, and obviously Warnings at Waverly Academy. Anybody have suggestions for getting at least 13-15 installed? I used two different wrappers (WS8Wine1.3.34 and 1.3.18) and couldn’t get either to work.

If it matters, I’m running OS X Yosemite.