- Show all categories
- Warnings at Waverly Academy
- Ransom of the Seven Ships
- The Haunting of Castle Malloy
- The Phantom of Venice
- Legend of the Crystal Skull
- The White Wolf of Icicle Creek
- The Creature of Kapu Cave
- Danger By Design
- Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
- Secret of the Old Clock
- Curse of Blackmoor Manor
- Curse of Blackmoor Manor (DVDi Game)
- The Secret of Shadow Ranch
- Danger on Deception Island
- The Haunted Carousel
- Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake
- Secret of the Scarlet Hand
- The Final Scene
- Treasure in the Royal Tower
- Message in a Haunted Mansion
- Stay Tuned for Danger
- Secrets Can Kill
- Dossier: Resorting to Danger
- Dossier: Lights, Camera, Curses
- Online Download Purchase Questions
- Physical Game & Box Purchase Questions
- Messageboard and Website
- Instant Response
.ini path problem, Caltree/Ciftree problem
When starting a game you receive an error regarding incorrect path to .INI file or Caltree/Ciftree file.
The .INI or Caltree/Ciftree file refers to the configuration file for the Nancy Drew game you are running. The older Nancy Drew games actively make changes to this file while the game is being run. This error usually happens when the game cannot write to this specific file and is virtually always caused by one of the items detailed below.
1. The User playing the game does not have write-access to the Nancy Drew game folder. Typically a limited account will block the user's privileges to write over this file. This means that the User must be logged-on as an Administrator account to install and play the game.
2. Some anti-virus software will block parts of the configuration file from being written during installation, which will result in this error. You might try temporarily disabling your security software and reinstalling. Check here for more information on anti-virus software related installation issues.
3. If you previously ran this game or had a failed installation, a configuration file left over from the previous installation can cause this error. You may want to try uninstalling the game and completely deleting the game folders before reinstalling. The game folder locations depend on how old the game is and which version of Windows you're running. Be sure to delete any remaining game folders for the applicable game in the following locations:
C:\Nancy Drew (older games)
C:\Program Files\Nancy Drew (newer games)
My Documents\Nancy Drew (newer games on XP)
In the Documents folder for Vista (C:\Users\Username\Documents)
4. If you are using Windows Vista, you’ll need to uninstall the game (if you've already tried to install it) and then create a new folder in 'Documents' and rename the folder for the game you are installing, eg: 'Blackmoor Manor'. Then reinstall the game and when prompted to choose the directory location, click on the 'Browse' button and navigate to C:\Users\Username\Documents\Blackmoor Manor (the folder you created). For more information on how to do this, please see Windows Vista Support.
Last update: 2009-11-12 11:25
Author: John K.
You cannot comment on this entry