Older Games on Mac

We started making our games for both PC and Mac with Game #22 Nancy Drew: Trail of the Twister. At this time, HeR Interactive is developing all of our new games for the Mac, as well as PC. I wish we had more games available for the Mac, but as we are a small company, the cost of converting our older games is prohibitive. However, I can assure you that ALL future games will be Mac compatible.

In addition, if you would like to try playing the older ND games on your Mac, we have heard that some of our fans have successfully used a product named “Virtual PC” to play our titles, as well as one called Wineskin. You may also want to try a program put out by Apple called Boot Camp which you can find on Apple’s website. While we don’t officially support this, you may find that it will work well for you too.

Posted in: Mac

29 responses to “Older Games on Mac”

1. Brooke says:

Hello there! Wineskin has been my savior for playing my old Nancy Drew games that weren’t made for Mac! The trick is all in which wrapper you use. So far, the only one I haven’t been able to play has been the original Secrets Can Kill with 2 discs.

• Greta says:

I’m trying to figure this out for Stay Tuned for Danger but I’m having a really difficult time understanding how all of this works! What exactly do you mean when you say “all in which wrapper you use?”

Hi Greta! Where do you see us say “wrapper”? Could you email us at techsupport@herinteractive.com? Thanks!

• Greta says:

Oh! Sorry, I meant that in response to Brooke’s comment above. She mentioned using Wineskin and that the trick is all in which wrapper you use. I was hoping she could explain what she meant and/or how she uses the program. 🙂

Sorry for the confusion!

• Brooke says:

Greta,
        When you use Wineskin, you can choose an engine to make a wrapper. When I first started trying this, I just used the newest engine (figuring that would be the best one) and there was terrible mouse lag and flickering and such. Then I did some searching and found that a different engine worked way better. I’ve had to use a different one for a few games, but the one that’s worked best for me is WS8Wine1.3.18. Hope that helps!

• Michaela says:

Hello Brooke!
      I was hoping maybe you could give a step by step. I want to make sure I download the correct application with the correct wrapper. I tried, but it didn’t let me pick WS8Wine1.3.18., which you’ve had the best success with. Also, once it’s downloaded what do you do with the game?
      Thank you!

2. Linda says:

Can someone PLEASE give me (tech illiterate) STEP BY STEP instructions on a MAC laptop how to get the program needed to play the older games and then how to get them ready to play? Thank you!

3. Linda says:

Do you have to have the physical disc purchase or can you download the game and play it then?

Hi Linda, I believe that both Digital and Physical games would be able to work on Mac while using a program like Wineskin.

4. Cheryl says:

Has anyone tried using 2-disk games on the Mac? I haven’t had much sucess with this, so I am wondering if other people have?

• Brooke says:

Cheryl,
      Yes, I have played many (close to all) of the 2 disc games on the Mac. The only one I’ve not been able to get to work so far has been the original Secrets Can Kill. Just copy the files from both discs into the same folder, select “Keep Both” if it finds any files that may be “duplicates” and then proceed just like you would for a game with a single disc! Hope that helps!

5. AccioDrew says:

I don’t understand how to use this at all. Is there an easy to understand guide anywhere? Unfortunately this is Greek to me 🙁

Hi AccioDrew! I highly recommend reading up on each of the programs’ web sites for further instructions.

6. Donna McLean says:

How do you play your Nancy Drew disc on a mac computer? Please help me with this Thank you Donna McLean

7. Annie says:

How do you play older games on a PC. I tried changing to a compatible previous version of Windows but none of them worked. Do you have a solution to this problem? Thanks.

Hi Annie, if you are still having trouble after reading the instructions and following the programs’ web site guides (like Wineskin’s) try emailing their tech support for your Mac porting.

8. Caitlin says:

I found this video to be extremely helpful in walking through how to install Wineskin and therefore the older games!! https://youtu.be/ot94PUemEU4
    When he says to select “Euro Truck Simulator” that’s the step where you’ll pick the game to install. Go to the Disc image, and select Setup.exe
    Hope that helps!!

9. Caitlin says:

Scratch that!!! THIS one is even better. The other one I actually haven’t been able to open the game at all… installing was easy, but I still can’t play. This one is more thorough! It’s a different program altogether.

10. Tori says:

Does anyone have directions on how to install old games via Wineskin when it is a digital download? I know how to do it when you have the disc, but what about when it’s only the digital version?

Hi Tori! I’ve never used Wineskin, so I could only suggest looking up their guides on their web site. Sorry!

11. Rachel says:

I created a tutorial on youtube for downloading Nancy Drew games using wineskin! I explain how with two disc games as well! Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUvkbvsSebk

12. Jackson says:

Parallels is also really good. Virtual PC is now called VMWare Fusion. If you use these, try to load Windows XP, because it is easier to install the games, and there is less memory drain and lag.

13. Kelsey says:

Does anyone know how to get back into your game? I was able to get it all set up through Wineskin, but now I cannot get back in. It prompts me back through the install process where I have to choose to “modify”, “repair”, or “remove” the game. I have tried the “modify” option and the “repair” option and they don’t seem to do anything. I don’t want to try the “remove” option because it took me so long to even get it set up in the first place. Anyone familiar with this situation and how to fix it?