While playing your Nancy Drew game, you may experience one of these issues:
• An error is displayed that says your sound settings are being changed
• No sound plays during the game
• Poor sound quality or sound “cuts out” while playing
• Sound plays very fast
These problems can occur if the sound card drivers installed in your computer are not compatible with DirectX 9.0.
1) Ensure that your speakers are attached to your computer, and adjust volume if necessary. Check that Mute is not turned on.
2) Ensure that your computer display properties are set to High Color 16 bit.
3) Check in Device Manager that your sound card drivers are running correctly. To open Device Manager:
Windows 7: Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager
Windows Vista: Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Device Manager
Windows XP: Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager
Then click the plus sign next to Sound, video and game controllers to view the brand and model of your sound card. Check for alert flags (red cross, yellow exclamation mark, or black question mark) displayed next to this device. If any alert is displayed, contact your sound card manufacturer for assistance.
For more troubleshooting, see the Windows Support page for your OS (external Microsoft links):
Windows 7: Sound Card FAQ’s
Windows Vista: Fixing Common Sound Problems
Windows XP: Troubleshooting Device Conflicts in Device Manager
4) Update your sound card drivers to the latest version. Even brand new computers may ship with outdated drivers, and many performance issues can be easily resolved by updating device drivers. We recommend that you download drivers directly from the device manufacturer’s website (over your computer manufacturer’s website).
You can find brand and model information for your system devices in Device Manager, or by running the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
Note: The third-party products discussed in this article are manufactured by companies independent of Her Interactive. Her Interactive makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.